7th Annual Spring Youth Service Learning Camp
April 6-10, 2020
(Monday-Friday leading up to Easter weekend)
Quaker Oaks Farm
Visalia, CA, USA
A partnership of Quaker
Oaks Farm, the Wukchumni Yokuts Tribe,
and Pacific Yearly Meeting Youth Programs
See the Quaker Oaks Farm
website for details and online application.
Air fills our lungs and keeps us alive, yet it is
taken for granted by many populations. Indigenous communities, however,
appreciate the air as sacred. Today, California has some of the worst air
pollution in the country. This year’s theme of Air builds from our previous camps and recent
themes, Fire, Water and Earth, honoring the sacredness of all Beings. Join us as we explore the power and value of Air in traditional and
contemporary practice. As the climate changes do we need new ways to care for
share our Histories and Love one another across Seeming Divides, all through
Fun, Interactive Activities. Camp includes a service-learning project on the
Land and a field trip.
WAYS TO HELP
- POST THE FLYER at your Meeting House, School, Clubhouse, etc.
- Know a potential camper? HELP THEM APPLY online by 3/9.
- SHARE our Fundraising Appeal Letter
- VOLUNTEER: Contact Melissa Lovett-Adair, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Request our model “Letter to Teachers” for a student who wants to take time off from school to participate in camp and/or get school credit
- SPREAD this message among friends!
Campers: APPLICATION ONLINE
NOW! Deadline 3/9/2020. There are only 30 spots available. There
is a question on this form where we ask you to tell us why we should select
your application and what is important to you about getting to be a part of
We enthusiastically invite middle school and high school aged
youth (grades 6-12) to apply. No one will be turned away for lack of
funds. Cost of camp is on a sliding scale ($0 – $500). Donations gratefully
This post is linked from the YPCC web page.
PYM Youth Programs Coordinating Committee
Program Evaluation Report 2019
(See also the summary of responses in appendix in linked PDF, above)
Responses to an online survey, sent to meetings and individuals in December 2018, provided clear support of the Youth Programs Coordinator (YPC) and offered suggestions and critiques of the efforts of the YPC and the Youth Programs Coordinating Committee (YPCC). Respondents who have been active in regional events such as Annual Session and Quarterly Meetings were more knowledgeable regarding impacts on the youth programs and listed many positive changes observed since the program began. A desire for support of the children’s program and youth programs in monthly meetings was expressed. A concern that youth programs were not developing a spiritual foundation and that we address issues of racism, classism, sexism and ageism were also expressed. Respondents were divided regarding the question of hiring an administrative support person and focusing the YPC role on youth activities. A majority of respondents support the cost of the YPC as money well spent, with some expressing concern regarding the impact of the cost on meeting budgets and limited impact seen at the monthly meeting level.
Continue reading “YPCC Evaluation Report to AS 2019”
Dear Children’s Program Families of Pacific Yearly Meeting:
Thank you for registering your child(ren) for Pacific Yearly Meeting’s 2019 Annual Session! The Children’s Program Committee looks forward to our joyous work of nurturing children and families at Annual Session.
Please read this letter thoroughly in preparation for our week together.
Last year we had a lot of fun and came together as a community to learn more about the Quaker Way. This year, we’ll continue taking advantage of outdoor education opportunities at the site and blending them with other forms of Quaker teaching and learning. And once again, we have an enthusiastic and skilled group of teachers and support staff. Continue reading “Welcome Letter to Children’s Program Families 2019”
• Full Report: Youth Programs Coordinating Committee Report to Annual Session 2019 (PDF: 8 pages including appendices)
● Welcoming and Introducing our new YPC and Interest Group
● Farewell to Alyssa Nelson, past YPC
● State of the YPC Committee
● Program Evaluation from Winter 2018/2109
● Financial Notes:
○ Budget action item — request for augmentation for current FY
○ Budget notes — request for next year, submitted to Finance
○ Youth Programs Fund (interest from the Bob Vogel Endowment) Usage Report
○ Budget action item — proposal to change the administration of PYM budget lines 5288 and 2742 for young Friends travel into a contribution to the principal of the Bob Vogel Endowment
● Program items that the YPC and YPCC have been supporting
● Requests to Monthly Meeting Reps and PYM Committee Clerks
PDF for download: ypc_Epistle013_May2019_AlyssaFarewell.pdf
See YPCC page for a list of all YPC Epistles and Announcements
May 15, 2019 – From Alyssa Nelson
Hello Pacific Yearly Meeting Friends! And farewell!!
After eleven years (!!!), the time has come to bid you a ‘see you around.’ Today is my official last day as the PYM Youth Programs Coordinator, a role I’ve been in since August 2011 and an initiative I’ve been part of in various ways since spring 2008. I’m writing to make sure everyone knows I’m leaving and to take this opportunity to share some reflections.
(For those sitting on the edge of your seats right now…, Yes, there will be a new YPC. The Youth Programs Coordinating Committee will be making an announcement about that shortly. At the end of this epistle you’ll find a list of contact people for the interim.) Continue reading “YPC Epistle XIII – Alyssa’s Farewell – May 2019”
Update 6/5/19: MORE VOLUNTEERS ARE STILL NEEDED WITH THE TEEN AND CHILDREN’S PROGRAMS, as soon as possible: A fantastic way for adults to experience Annual Session and have your registration fees waived as well. Learn more below in the original invitation:
Dear PYM Friends:
Can you think of a Friend who’d be a good fit to volunteer with children or teens at Annual Session? Please send this message to them!
Continue reading “Volunteer with JYM or Children’s Program at 2019 PYM Annual Session: DEADLINE EXTENDED”
Quick links for 2019 JYM:
- CONSENT AND MEDICAL FORMS for Minors (PDF): must submit to complete 2019 registration. Send to Registrar with payment.
- REGISTER online for JYM and the 2019 PYM Annual Session, being held at Walker Creek Ranch, Petaluma, CA, USA from Friday, July 12 – Wednesday, July 17, 2019.
- See sections below for registration, required forms, and financial assistance to attend ….. and DANCE THEME!!!!!
- Contacts: The Adult Co-Clerks of JYM Committee are Muriel Strand <email@example.com> and Sarah Armstrong Jones <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Watch this page for …..
Continue reading “Welcome to JYM 2019”