We’re a community of a wide variety of “unprogrammed” Friends (Quaker) Meetings in parts of Mexico and the western USA. After decades of independence we recently became affiliated with Friends General Conference. Our book of Faith and Practice describes the beliefs of Friends, PYM’s structures and processes, and the spiritual foundation of these processes and of our way of worship. We’re a year-round community, and we have a summer gathering we call “PYM Annual Session.” Western Friend is the official publication of Quakers in Pacific, North Pacific, and Intermountain Yearly Meetings.
Read more about Pacific Yearly Meeting…
Announcements and Quick Links (updated 5/4/2020)
ANNUAL SESSION 2020: Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Pacific Yearly Meeting’s Annual Gathering for 2020, previously scheduled for July 10-15 at Walker Creek Ranch, will instead be held “virtually” (i.e. online) over a longer period of time over the summer. See the Clerk’s Announcement for further information as plans develop.
REQUEST FOR MONTHLY MEETINGS to DISCERN and PROVIDE FEEDBACK by June 30, 2020, on a draft revision of the section of Faith & Practice on “Death in the Meeting“. See this Announcement for details.
- During this period of “social distancing” we invite you to consider the many opportunities for online worship listed at westernfriend.org. Among these is our own PYM WEEKLY ONLINE MEETING FOR WORSHIP, every Wednesday evening, 7:00-7:30 pm.
- ANNUAL SESSION 2020 will NOT take place July 10-15, 2020, at Walker Creek Ranch, near Petaluma, CA. Instead it will take place through online programs over a longer period over the summer.
- APPLICATION DEADLINE June 20 for grants from the Youth Programs Fund of the Bob Vogel Endowment.
- See the PYM CALENDAR PAGE for additional PYM-related EVENTS, including youth and intergenerational events.
- The Faith and Practice Revision Committee is asking Monthly Meetings and other entities of the Yearly Meeting to review and provide feedback by June 30, 2020, on a draft revision of the section on “Death in the Meeting“. (5/4/2020)
- The Website Team is experimenting with a new menu structure to make things easier to find on the website. Please check out the new menus and send us your comments. (4/16/2020)
- Youth Programs Coordinating Committee (YPCC) is happy to announce that Rebekah Percy has been hired as the Interim Youth Programs Coordinator. She began work on March 23rd.
- RepCom 2020 (Representative Committee 2020) met March 6-8, 2020, in Visalia, CA. Minutes of the meeting are now posted. A resulting updated Roster of PYM Officeholders is also now available.
- Secretariat: Progress is being made toward scanning historical meeting minutes of PYM and making them available on the PYM Minutes page. Most minutes for 1947-1981 are now posted, with gaps in the 1960’s.
- OLDER COMMITTEE NEWS
- Young Adult Friends (YAFs) have applied for and received a grant from the PacYM Youth Programs Fund (Vogel Endowment) that seeks to empower all community members and provide various forms of assistance to those in need. As YAFs in PacYM circles have lost jobs as a result of the Covid-19 quarantine, this Mutual Aid Project offers a small financial gift to tide them over temporarily, while releasing them to provide other forms of assistance to Friends. More information on how you or your meeting can get involved is listed here.
- San Mateo Worship Group, recently formed under the care of Palo Alto Meeting, is going strong. They meet on 1st and 3rd First Days. They welcome all seekers, including those new to Quaker worship, to join them. See their website for details.
- GRANTS available:
- WEBSITE REVISIONS: We are in the process of redesigning and cleaning up this website. Thank you for your feedback and patience! The website is under the care of the PYM Communications Committee.
- Trying to find something on this site? First try using the menu bar near the top of the page or the announcements on this home page. If that doesn’t work, you might try some options shown on the right side of this page: the site Search box, the Categories list, or browsing through the recent posts. (Note that the search box and categories list only cover a portion of the site.)