We’re a community of a wide variety of “unprogrammed” Friends (Quaker) Meetings in parts of Mexico and the western USA. After decades of independence we recently became affiliated with Friends General Conference. We’re used to calling ourselves PYM, but in FGC there is another PYM, Philadelphia Yearly Meeting, so we’re starting to say PacYM instead.
Our book of Faith and Practice describes the beliefs of Friends, PacYM’s structures and processes, and the spiritual foundation of these processes and of our way of worship. We’re a year-round community, and we have a summer gathering we call “PYM Annual Session.” Western Friend is the official publication of Quakers in Pacific, North Pacific, and Intermountain Yearly Meetings.
Read more about Pacific Yearly Meeting…
Announcements and Quick Links (updated 11/24/2020)
- The Secretariat Clerk has finished scanning PacYM minutes from 1969 through 2000. This means that nearly all PacYM minutes since its founding in 1947 are now available for browsing on the PacYM Minutes page. We’re still working to fill the few remaining gaps. (11/24/2020)
SAVE THE DATE: PacYM Representative Committee 2021This year’s meeting of PacYM Representative Committee (RepCom) will be unlike anything we have done before. As always, everyone in PacYM is invited to RepCom–you don’t need to be your Monthly Meeting’s representative and you don’t need to be serving the Yearly Meeting in any particular role. New this year is that RepCom will be held virtually on Zoom (like so many things are these days) and the schedule will be very different from previous RepComs. In order to make good use of our time and not over-Zoom ourselves, we will meet on 2 successive Saturdays: February 27 and March 6. The times have not been finalized, but we are planning three 90-minute sessions each day: one in the morning and two in the afternoon. We will have substantial breaks between meetings. In addition, there will be a meeting of Monthly Meeting Representatives on the evening of Friday, February 26 (exact time TBD).The theme of this summer’s Annual Session will be “The Power at Work Within Us: connection with the power of Spirit working within and among us.” The theme will be further explained in the Clerk’s Call to Annual Session, which will be posted and sent out prior to RepCom. In preparation for this summer, any business that committees, officers, or representatives to outside organizations intend to bring to Annual Session must be brought for a first reading to RepCom. The deadline for reports to RepCom will be Monday, February 8 and proposals for Interest Groups at Annual Session are due by midnight on Sunday, March 7.More details will be coming soon, but please save the dates for our meeting and make note of the upcoming deadlines.
- During this period of “social distancing” we invite you to consider the many opportunities for online worship listed at westernfriend.org. Among these is PYM-sponsored WEEKLY ONLINE MEETING FOR WORSHIP, every Wednesday evening, 7:00-7:30 pm.
- See the PYM CALENDAR PAGE for additional PYM-related EVENTS, including youth and intergenerational events. Every other month events for teens and a bi-monthly support group for parents are also now taking place!
- Pacific Yearly Meeting is accepting applications to fill the full-time salaried position of Youth Programs Coordinator. The role of the Youth Programs Coordinator is to enhance the spiritual development and nurture of youth and intergenerational community within the Yearly Meeting. The job description and application process are posted on our website here. The position will remain open until filled, however priority will be given to applications received by January 20, 2021. (12/04/20)
- The Website Team is experimenting with a new menu structure and other ways to make things easier to find on the website. Please check out the new menus and send us your comments. (4/16/2020)
- ARCHIVE of OLDER COMMITTEE NEWS
- ANNUAL SESSION 2020 took place online, July 10-15, 2020. All information about the session can be found on the AS 2020 Information Page.
- Young Adult Friends (YAFs) have applied for and received a grant from the PacYM Youth Programs Fund (Vogel Endowment) that seeks to empower all community members and provide various forms of assistance to those in need through a yearly meeting wide Mutual Aid Project. More information on how you or your meeting can get involved is listed here.
- GRANTS available:
- WEBSITE REVISIONS: We are actively working on the design of this website. Thank you for your patience and your feedback (send to firstname.lastname@example.org).