Welcome to Pacific Yearly Meeting! We’re a community of a wide variety of “unprogrammed” Friends (Quaker) Meetings in parts of Mexico and the western USA. Our book of Faith and Practice describes the beliefs of Friends, PYM’s structures and processes, and the spiritual foundation of these processes and of our way of worship. We’re a year-round community, and we have a summer gathering we call “PYM Annual Session.” Western Friend is the official publication of Quakers in Pacific, North Pacific, and Intermountain Yearly Meetings.
Read more about Pacific Yearly Meeting…
Announcements and Quick Links (updated 3/30/2020)
Because of the COVID-19 pandemic, Pacific Yearly Meeting’s Annual Gathering for 2020, previously scheduled for July 10-15 at Walker Creek Ranch, will instead be held “virtually” (i.e. online) over a longer period of time over the summer. See the Clerk’s Announcement for further explanation. Information about these upcoming virtual programs will be disseminated via email and on this website as soon as they are scheduled.
Read the earlier message from Presiding Clerk Sandy Kewman relaying guidance from the State of California regarding the rapidly evolving COVID-19 pandemic. Such guidance from CA (or from appropriate state or country authorities if outside CA) would apply to all gatherings and activities put on by Meetings and Worship Groups within Pacific Yearly Meeting.
PacYM’s WEEKLY ONLINE MEETING FOR WORSHIP: All Pacific Yearly Meeting Friends are invited to an ongoing online meeting for worship with attention to the well being of our yearly meeting community. Every Wednesday, 7:00-7:30 pm.
We also invite you to see many additional opportunities for online worship listed at westernfriend.org.
- ANNUAL SESSION 2020 will NOT take place July 10-15, 2020, at Walker Creek Ranch, near Petaluma, CA. Rather, it will take place through online programs over a longer period of time over the summer.
- See the PYM CALENDAR PAGE for additional PYM-related EVENTS, including youth and intergenerational events.
- Youth Programs Coordinating Committee (YPCC) is happy to announce that Rebekah Percy has been hired as the Interim Youth Programs Coordinator. She began work on March 23rd.
- RepCom 2020 (Representative Committee 2020) met March 6-8, 2020, in Visalia, CA. Minutes of the meeting will be posted soon. A resulting updated Roster of PYM Officeholders is now available on the Nominating Committee page.
- Secretariat: Progress is being made toward scanning historical meeting minutes of PYM and making them available on the website. Most minutes for 1947-1981 are now posted, with gaps in the 1960’s. See the PYM Minutes page.
OLDER COMMITTEE NEWS
- The Youth Programs Coordinator (YPC) Javaughn Fernanders will be leaving the position. Her last day at work was February 21, 2020. The Youth Programs Coordinating Committee (YPCC) will continue to respond to the YPC email address for any concerns or needs after her departure. Please continue to use email@example.com for inquiries related to the Youth Programs of Pacific Yearly Meeting.
- An updated Roster of PYM Officeholders for 2019-2020, current as of 11/14/2019, was posted on the Nominating Committee page.
- Pacific Yearly Meeting is now affiliated with Friends General Conference. See Clerk Sandy Kewman’s announcement for more details.
- ANNUAL SESSION 2019 took place July 12-17, 2019, at Walker Creek Ranch.
- The Youth Programs Coordinating Committee introduces the new Youth Programs Coordinator, Javaughn Fernanders.
- Alyssa Nelson’s last and farewell letter as YPC: YPC Epistle XIII – May 2019.
- Secretariat: A complete list of all PYM Minutes of Action since 2001 is available on the PYM Minutes page. Full minutes are also available for each of those years. Minutes for the first 11 years of PYM (1947-1957) have been added.
- The Latin American Concerns Committee calls your attention to two upcoming opportunities to engage with Friends projects related to Latin America.
- The Eldering Subcommittee of M&O invites all Pacific Yearly Meeting Friends to a weekly online meeting for worship with attention to the spiritual wellness of our yearly meeting.
- Revision of our book of Faith and Practice is underway. The first round of reviews was due December 1, 2018. Watch for more draft sections for review in the future.
- The Racial Justice Subcommittee of M&O has published a page of recommended resources on racial justice. Please encourage Friends and Meetings to make use of these resources and send us your feedback.
- The Latin American Concerns Committee has published the text of their presentation at Annual Session 2018 and a Call to Actions to promote humanitarian treatment of immigrants and refugees.
- See recent posts on the right sidebar or on the all posts page or the committees and officers pages.
- San Mateo Worship Group, recently formed under the care of Palo Alto Meeting, is going strong. They meet on 1st and 3rd First Days. They welcome all seekers, including those new to Quaker worship, to join them. See their website for details.
- Chico Friends Meeting (located near Paradise, CA) set up a Quaker Fund for people affected by the Camp Fire in northern California. All contributions have now been allocated and the fund is closed.
- GRANTS available:
- WEBSITE REVISIONS: We are in the process of redesigning and cleaning up this website. Thank you for your feedback and patience! The website is under the care of the PYM Communications Committee.
- Trying to find something on this site? First try using the menu bar near the top of the page or the announcements on this home page. If that doesn’t work, you might try some options shown on the right side of this page: the site Search box, the Categories list, or browsing through the recent posts. (Note that the search box and categories list only cover a portion of the site.)
- CONTACT US