We’re a community of a wide variety of “unprogrammed” Friends (Quaker) Meetings in parts of Mexico and the western USA. After decades of independence we recently became affiliated with Friends General Conference. We’re used to calling ourselves PYM, but in FGC there is another PYM, Philadelphia Yearly Meeting, so we’re starting to say PacYM instead.
Our book of Faith and Practice describes the beliefs of Friends, PacYM’s structures and processes, and the spiritual foundation of these processes and of our way of worship. Western Friend is the official publication of Quakers in Pacific, North Pacific, and Intermountain Yearly Meetings. We’re a year-round community, and we have a summer gathering we call “PYM Annual Session.” Our 2021 Annual Session has now concluded.
Read more about Pacific Yearly Meeting…
Announcements and Quick Links (updated 7/28/2021)
We are sad to report that Sharon Gates, the Assistant to the Clerk, passed away early Tuesday morning, July 13, surrounded by her family. In the last several months she had valiantly pursued treatment of recurrent cancer. Sharon contributed mightily to Pacific Yearly Meeting in her role as Assistant to the Clerk and a member of the Communications Committee for the last 4 years. — Dear Community, grieve well and please take care of yourselves. (7/13/2021)
Announcing our first ever Retreat for Friends of Color, July 17. Info here. (7/7/2021)
- The new Indigenous Concerns Subcommittee of the Ministry Committee now has a web page on this site. They are conducting a survey (deadline extended to July 31) of meetings/orgs/committees; asking for recommendations for members and advisors/accountability partners; and providing resources, promoting action, and facilitating connections. More information here. (5/20/2021)
- Braiding Sweetgrass Worship Group: the Unity with Nature Committee, Indigenous Concerns Subcommittee, and the Youth Programs Coordinating Committee of Pacific Yearly Meeting invite you to the Bi-Monthly Braiding Sweetgrass Worship Group on 1st and 3rd Mondays @7:00pm PDT. More information here.
- PacYM welcomes our new Youth Programs Coordinator, Keenan Lorenzato, who began in that role on March 15. Learn about Keenan here. (2/26/2021)
- Online Worship: every Wednesday evening, 7:00-7:30 pm sponsored by PYM Eldering subcommittee of Ministry Committee.
- Braiding Sweetgrass Worship Group: 1st and 3rd Mondays @7:00pm PDT. More information here.
- Many other opportunities for online Quaker worship are listed at westernfriend.org.
- Every other month events for teens and a bi-monthly support group for parents are also now taking place!
- See the PYM CALENDAR PAGE for additional PYM-related EVENTS, including youth and intergenerational events.
- Retreat for Friends of Color took place July 17. Info here.
- PacYM Annual Session 2021 took place online, July 23-28, 2021.
- Representative Committee met Feb 26&27 and March 6, 2021. See the RepCom 2021 info page for more. Minutes are on the PYM Minutes page. (3/7/2021 & 4/5/2021)
- The Secretariat Clerk has finished scanning PacYM minutes from 1969 through 2000. This means that nearly all PacYM minutes since its founding in 1947 are now available for browsing on the PacYM Minutes page. We’re still working to fill the few remaining gaps. (11/24/2020)
- ARCHIVE of OLDER COMMITTEE NEWS
- Threshing Session on a Recommendation for a Paid Administrative Position to Support the Work of PacYM, was held Saturday Feb 6, 2021. Further information, including notes from the Threshing Session, can be found here.
- Young Adult Friends (YAFs) have applied for and received a grant from the PacYM Youth Programs Fund (Vogel Endowment) that seeks to empower all community members and provide various forms of assistance to those in need through a yearly meeting wide Mutual Aid Project. More information on how you or your meeting can get involved is listed here.
- GRANTS available:
- WEBSITE REVISIONS: Thank you for your patience with the website. Please send us your feedback and suggestions for the website: WebsiteEditor@pacificyearlymeeting.org.