The Experimentation and Implementation Subcommittee of M&O has made some recommendations that you will see reflected in this year’s schedule. These are based on the 2011 evaluations plus the input from both Quarterly Meetings. You will have a chance to experience the 2012 experiment and give feedback during this year’s evaluation cycle. PLUS you are invited to come to an interest group during the Annual Session to participate in visioning future changes or experiments. Here are some of the principles behind this year’s experiment:
Nurturing ‘Gathered’ or ‘Covered’ Meetings
The reorganization of plenary sessions is an effort to nurture our way of doing business so there are more opportunities for ‘gathered’ or ‘covered’ meetings. Finding Unity is a fragile process that requires adequate time for discernment. By limiting the number of items on any one agenda, provided printed and on-line information in advance, asking Friends to be prepared when they come to plenary sessions, and providing time outside of the plenary sessions for seasoning, it is hoped that the Annual Session will be able to move more easily as the Spirit guides us.
Coordinating age related group activities
- Adult activities fall within the Children’s Program hours so that parents don’t have to choose between participating and parenting. As a result, Transformative Quakers and Bible Study sessions are moved into the Children’s Program hours.
- Activities the whole family can participate in are placed outside the Children’s Program hours.
- SYM (Senior Yearly Meeting) activities are grouped in the morning when JYM and YFs tend to be asleep.
- Some JYM and YF activities may therefore be grouped at night when SYM tends to be asleep.
- Inter-generational activities are planned for late morning, afternoon and early evening when everyone is awake and can participate.
- Activities are scheduled so that the Children’s Program can continue their practice of picking up and delivering children to parents at meal times.
Note: some in JYM are over 18 and legal adults. Most YFs are legal adults. To honor those adults still in JYM and YF, we have created a new designation, Senior Yearly Meeting (SYM) in lieu of ‘PYM’ or ‘the adults’. This also honors our most senior members.
- All age groups have expressed an interest in increasing intergenerational activities, so we invite you to spend all meals as community time, and ask that you do not conduct business during meals. Use them as a time to get to know people of different ages.
- There is an inter-generational slot after lunch each day, each slot to be led by a different group.
- There will be inter-generational worship-sharing, including those from JYM who wish to join SYM.