Pacific Yearly Meeting’s 2017 Annual Session was held at Walker Creek Ranch near Petaluma, CA, USA, from Friday, July 14 through Wednesday, July 19, 2017. Please see the Annual Session Information page for information about PYM Annual Sessions in general.
The Evaluation Survey is now closed. Thanks to all who provided feedback.
This page contains announcements, committee reports for, and (will soon contain) minutes from the 2017 Annual Session. There are also links to information and documents that were relevant primarily before and during the session itself but are now largely of “historical interest” only. At the very bottom of the page are submission instructions if you need to having something posted to this page.
Click on any item in the Table of Contents to jump to that section. Reports are organized alphabetically by committee/officer.
- Clerk’s Call
- Committee/Officer Reports
- Arrangements Committee
- Children’s Program Committee
- Discipline (Faith & Practice Revision) Committee
- Finance Committee & Treasurer
- Holding Corporation
- Junior Yearly Meeting (JYM) Committee
- Latin American Concerns Committee
- Ministry & Oversight Committee
- Naming Committee
- Nominating Committee
- Peace and Social Order Committee
- Secretariat Committee
- Statistical Clerk
- Unity with Nature Committee
- Visiting Friend
- Young Adult Friends
- Youth Programs Coordinating Committee & YP Coordinator
- Reports from Outside Organizations & PYM Representatives to Outside Organizations
- Epistles from other Yearly Meetings
- Daily Miracle
- Before the Session
- During the Session
- Instructions for Authors of Documents for this Page
- Pacific Yearly Meeting Epistles 2017 – All Age Groups
- Young Adult Friends: There was no YAF epistle in 2017. Please see their YAF clerks’ report.
Children’s Program Committee
Discipline (Faith & Practice Revision) Committee
Finance Committee & Treasurer
- Treasurers Report to Annual Session 2017 v3
- Finance Report to Annual Session 2017
- PYM Proposed General Budget FY 2017-2018.draft 07-18
- PYM Proposed General Budget FY 2017-2018 (older draft 7/15)
Junior Yearly Meeting (JYM) Committee
Latin American Concerns Committee
- Latin American Concerns Report Part 1 to Annual Session 2017
- Latin American Concerns Report Part 2 to Annual Session 2017
- Casa de los Amigos Letter from Director post PYM 2017
Ministry & Oversight Committee
- Ministry and Oversight Committee Report to Annual Session 2017
- Child Abuse Prevention Policy Draft V4 (2017) (draft approved by M&O Committee April 22, 2017. Approved at Annual Session, Plenary V, July 17, 2017).
- Community Expectations for All Attenders
- PYM-FGC Affiliation FAQ
- PYM Restructure Proposal v6 July-FINAL as APPROVED
- Nearly final version: PYM Restructure Proposal v5 July 2017 (considered at plenary, approved with changes incorporated into v6)
- Older version of PYM Restructure Proposal for reference (v2 Mar 2017)
- Summary of Evaluations of PYM Annual Session 2016
- State of Meeting Reports CPQM 2017 (reports from each monthly meeting of College Park Quarterly Meeting)
- State of Meeting Reports SCQM 2017 (reports from each monthly meeting of Southern California Quarterly Meeting)
Note: Nominating slates here are proposals brought for approval at Annual Session. They typically go through multiple revisions in the course of the session as additional nominees are found. See Nominating Committee page for most recent approved versions.
- Approved: Nominating Report to Annual Session 2017 as of 2017-07-18 Plenary VIII (approved 7/19 Plenary IX, closing plenary)
- Further Nominations: Nominating Report to Annual Session 2017 as of 2017-07-19 Plenary IX (new names placed in nomination this plenary will be handled through the “interim appointments process”).
- See the Nominating Committee page for a cleaner version of the final approved roster as of close of session.
Peace and Social Order Committee
- See “Finance Committee & Treasurer” above
Unity with Nature Committee
- Unity with Nature Report to Annual Session 2017
- Information about the Voluntary Carbon Tax Donation on your Annual Session Registration Form
- Unity with Nature MiniGrant Info and Application June 2017-2018
- Laid down for now. See Ministry & Oversight report from 2016.
Young Adult Friends
Youth Programs Coordinating Committee & YP Coordinator
- YPCC and YPC Report to Annual Session 2017
- Australia Trip Supplement to YPC Report:
- Traveling in the Ministry to Australia Yearly Meeting in June-August 2016 – a work in progress as of 7/15/17 (by Alyssa Nelson, Thistle West, Cathy Walling, Sally Kingsland)
- Cathy Walling’s Reports to YPCC and PYM 2017 on Travelling in the Ministry to Australia (PDF): These two reports from Cathy are also included within the above supplement to the YPCC Report.
- Read more about the Spring Youth Service-Learning Camp the YPCC co-sponsors with the Wukchumni Tribe and Quaker Oaks Farm in the 10 Year Anniversary Report from Quaker Oaks Farm
Reports from Outside Organizations & PYM Representatives to Outside Organizations
American Friends Service Committee
- Centennial Video (link to YouTube video)
- Building Peace with Justice: AFSC celebrates its 100th Year — Report
- Cultivating Peace in Troubled Times — Friends Journal article by Shan Cretin
- Love in Action — A brief history of AFSC’s work in the past 100 years
Friends Committee on Legislation of California
- FCLCA Report to PYM Annual Session 2017
- Trivia point for quibblers (like me): The acronym for this organization has gone through some evolution in recent years, but has now (apparently) settled on FCLCA rather than any of FCL, FCL/CA or FCL-CA. Just remember: “no slash, no dash”.
Friends Committee on National Legislation
Friends General Conference – Central Committee
Friends World Committee for Consultation
Quaker Oaks Farm
Epistles from other Yearly Meetings
The following epistles (or excerpts from them) were read at various plenary sessions
The bulletin distributed each morning at Annual Session with schedules, announcements and other information pertinent to attenders as well as Friends generally.
- Daily Miracle for Saturday 7/15
- Daily Miracle for Sunday 7/16
- Daily Miracle for Monday 7/17
- Daily Miracle for Tuesday 7/18
- Daily Miracle for Wednesday 7/19
Before the Session
Information and documents that were important before the session got underway
- Clerk’s Call to 2017 Annual Session
- Poster for Annual Session 2017
- Registration (Now Closed): Click here to register. (Opens in a new tab.)
- Fees list
- Attendance Assistance Information and Request Form
- June 12: Last day to register without a late fee & Last day to cancel a registration without $100 cancellation fee
- June 16: Last day to submit requests for financial assistance from PYM
- June 26: Last day for officers and committee clerks to submit reports to Annual Session
- May 20 (extended): Apply to serve as a “FRAP” with teens or Children’s Program Teacher at Annual Session and get your registration fees waived.
- Information for Registrants. Email sent to all registrants on 6/25 and 7/5.
- Children’s Program (including permission/medical forms and Welcome Letter to Parents/Guardians/Sponsors)
- Teens (Junior Yearly Meeting, aka JYM) (including permission/medical forms)
- JYM Welcome Letter and What to Bring – Packing List for JYM (posted 7/9): see JYM 2017 page
- Young Adult Friends (aka YAFs)
- Adults who work with youth
During the Session
Documents that were relevant while the session was underway but are now primarily “just history”.
- Annual Session 2017 Schedule
- JYM (Teens) Schedule
- Interest Group Schedule
- Plenary agendas
- Walker Creek Maps:
- Community Expectations for All Attenders
Instructions for Authors of Documents for this Page
- Officers, Committee Clerks and other authors of advance documents please do the following:
- Send in your report as a .doc or .docx file –or equivalent– (rather than as email text or .pdf). This will help the Secretariat and Recording Clerks have access to the text and formatting as well as simplifying our document management process.
- Name your report file like this example: CommitteeName_Report_to_Annual
_Session_2017.doc or .docx (e.g., Ministry_and_Oversight_Report_ to_Annual_Session_2017.doc or Latin_American_Concerns_Report _to_Annual_Session_2017_06_26.docx)
- Note that the names are quite long enough without adding the word “Committee”.
- Email by Monday, June 26 to Sharon Gates <pymassistanttotheclerk@gmail.
com>. Earlier if you can manage it.
- We will post your reports here as a PDF that we will create from your .doc.