Pacific Yearly Meeting’s 2018 Annual Session will be held at Walker Creek Ranch near Petaluma, CA, USA, from Friday, July 13 through Wednesday, July 18, 2018. The theme this year is “Faithfulness: A Call to Practice Radical Vulnerability and Love.” See the Clerk’s Call to the PYM 2018 Annual Session.
Registration for Annual Session 2018 is now open. Please register by June 12 if you can, as this helps with planning and will save you a late fee. See here for list of 2018 registration fees. Financial assistance is available (application due 6/1; see registration).
This page contains information and documents related to the 2018 Annual Session. At the very bottom of the page are submission instructions for posting to this page. For information about PYM Annual Sessions in general, please see the Annual Session Information page.
Click on any item in the Table of Contents to jump to that section. Reports are organized alphabetically by committee/officer.
Some Deadlines for Annual Session 2018
- APPLY TO VOLUNTEER WITH TEENS OR CHILDREN’S PROGRAM: Deadline extended until filled (was May 20). A fantastic way for adults to experience Annual Session and have your registration fees waived as well. Click here for more information and the application form.
- BUDGET REQUEST: June 1. Annual Session is where we approve next year’s general budget and any augmentations to current year’s general or annual session budgets. Send requests and input to Finance Committee.
- ATTENDANCE ASSISTANCE REQUEST: June 1. Access the form from within registration. Submit online or by mail. Ensure your Meeting communicates their decision about their portion of contribution by June 22. M&O will communicate decisions on June 26.
- REGISTRATION or CANCELLATION: June 12 to avoid late fees. After June 12 registrations are subject to a 5% late fee and cancellations are subject to a $100 cancellation fee.
- REPORTS: June 22. Committees, Officers and Representatives submitting reports for Annual Session should follow the instructions at the bottom of this page.
- INTEREST GROUP PROPOSALS: deadline has passed. To plan ahead for 2019 see How to Schedule an Interest Group at Annual Session.
Clerk’s Call and Advance Materials
- Clerk’s Call to the PYM 2018 Annual Session
- Registration: Click here to register. (Opens in a new tab.)
- Information for Registrants. Email will be sent to all registrants.
- Packet of Advance Materials. Committee/Officer reports will be linked individually below as they are received. Those reports submitted by the June 22 deadline will be combined into a single PDF file or “packet” for easier reference before and during Annual Session. The packet will be available here as soon after June 22 as we can manage to collect the documents.
- Children’s Program (including permission/medical forms and Welcome Letter to Parents/Guardians/Sponsors)
- Teens (Junior Yearly Meeting, aka JYM) (including permission/medical forms)
- JYM Welcome Letter and What to Bring – Packing List for JYM (coming soon): see JYM 2018 page
- Young Adult Friends (aka YAFs)
- Adults who work with youth
During the Session
Schedules and Agendas
- Annual Session 2018 Schedule (coming soon)
- JYM (Teens) 2018 Schedule (coming soon)
- Dance Theme: “80s”!!!!!
- Interest Group Schedule (coming soon)
- Plenary agendas (coming soon)
Site: Walker Creek Ranch
- Community Expectations for All Attenders 2018
- Walker Creek Ranch Site use policies
The bulletin distributed each morning at Annual Session with schedules, announcements and other information pertinent to attenders as well as to Friends generally.
Children’s Program Committee
Discipline / Faith & Practice Revision Committee
Finance Committee & Treasurer
Junior Yearly Meeting (JYM) Committee
Latin American Concerns Committee
Ministry & Oversight Committee
- Summary of Evaluations of PYM Annual Session 2017
- State of Meeting Reports CPQM 2018 (reports from each monthly meeting of College Park Quarterly Meeting)
- State of Meeting Reports SCQM 2018 (reports from each monthly meeting of Southern California Quarterly Meeting)
- Note: Nominating slates are proposals brought for approval at Annual Session. They typically go through multiple revisions in the course of the session as additional nominees are found. See the Nominating Committee page for a cleaner version of the final approved roster as of close of session and for any updates that have been posted since then.
Peace and Social Order Committee
Racial Justice Subcommittee
- See Ministry & Oversight
- See “Finance Committee & Treasurer” above
Unity with Nature Committee
Young Adult Friends
Youth Programs Coordinating Committee & YP Coordinator
Reports from Outside Organizations & from PYM Representatives to Outside Organizations
American Friends Service Committee
Friends Committee on Legislation of California
- Trivia point for quibblers (like me): The acronym for this organization has gone through some evolution in recent years, but has now (apparently) settled on FCLCA rather than any of FCL, FCL/CA or FCL-CA. Just remember: “no slash, no dash”.
Friends Committee on National Legislation
Friends General Conference – Central Committee
Friends World Committee for Consultation
Epistles from other Yearly Meetings
The following epistles (or excerpts from them) read at various plenary sessions
Epistles from PYM Annual Session
- Pacific Yearly Meeting Epistles 2018 – All Age Groups (will be created at Annual Session)
- Past PYM Epistles
- Plenary Business Meeting agendas (coming soon)
- PYM AS 2018 Minutes and Attachments (will be posted about a month after Annual Session ends)
General questions about PYM and Annual Session:
Sharon Gates, Assistant to the Clerk, firstname.lastname@example.org
Joe Magruder (Berkeley) and Lawrence Alderson (Orange County)
PYM Registrar Gmail <email@example.com>
Mailing Address to mail checks (made out to “Pacific Yearly Meeting”) for completed registrations:
PYM Registration; Joe Magruder; 1625 Curtis Street; Berkeley, CA 94702-1328.
Co-Clerk: Peggy Craik (Conejo Valley) <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Co-Clerk: Chamba Cooke (Grass Valley) <email@example.com>
Co-Coordinator: Nate Secrest (Redwood Forest) <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Co-Coordinator: Lee Sisson (Palo Alto) <email@example.com>
Teens (Junior Yearly Meeting, aka JYM):
Adult Clerk of JYM:
Muriel Strand (Sacramento) <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Young Adult Friends (aka YAFs):
Instructions for Authors of Documents for this Page
- Officers, Committee Clerks and other authors of advance documents please do the following:
- NEW: Follow the template that will be sent out and posted by the Assistant to the Clerk.
- Send in your report as a .doc or .docx file –or equivalent– (rather than as email text or .pdf). This will help the Secretariat and Recording Clerks have access to the text and formatting as well as simplifying our document management process.
- Name your report file like this: CommitteeName-Report-to-Annual
-Session-2018.doc or .docx. For example:
- Note that the names are quite long enough without adding the word “Committee”.
- Email by June 22, 2018 to the Assistant to the Clerk (Sharon Gates) <pymassistanttotheclerk@gmail.
- We will post your report here as a PDF that we will create from your .doc.
- Documents received by the deadline (June 22) will be assembled into an “advance packet” distributed electronically to all participants. Documents received late will be more difficult for participants to find and may be overlooked. So please submit your report by the deadline or earlier if you can manage it.