This is the information page for Pacific Yearly Meeting’s upcoming 2021 Annual Session, which took place online July 23 – 28, 2021. The theme this year is “Love and Justice: Heeding the Spirit’s Power Within and Among Us.” See the Clerk’s Call for more about the theme.
Before You Leave
- Show your appreciation and help make Annual Sessions even better by sharing your feedback while the experience is still fresh in your mind. You’ll find the Annual Session Evaluation Form on AS LIVE 2021 to fill out before you leave.
- The year-around work of Pacific Yearly Meeting is conducted almost entirely by volunteers. Without the many, many volunteers none of it would happen. Working on committees is also a great way to deepen your spiritual life and to enlarge your circle of F/friends beyond your local community. The Service Survey form (available on our Get Involved page) is where you can communicate your gifts and interests to the Nominating Committee, whose job it is to match people with the best place to put their talents to use.
- Note: As the 2021 Annual Session was conducted online via Zoom, there were no epistles from the younger Friends this year.
- Minutes have been posted on the PYM Minutes page as of 9/16/2021.
- The Packet of Advance Materials is an all-in-one PDF containing the Clerk’s call, the schedule, interest group descriptions, and (nearly all of the) committee reports. If you just want an individual report, you will find it below under Reports
- Additions and Corrections: Also check under Reports below for items marked in red “not in Advance Packet.” These have been added or revised since the Advance Packet was put together.
- See below under Late Registration. See there also for payment information.
Sacred Space Witnessing
Sacred Space Witnessing during PacYM Plenaries (from the Racial Justice Subcommittee)
Friends of Color Retreat July 17
Information for Specific Age Groups
During the Session
AS LIVE 2021
The AS LIVE 2021 page contains links to the Zoom meeting rooms and other information for registered attenders only. The password for AS LIVE was included in an email sent to registered attenders by the Registrar on July 17. If you’ve lost the password, contact Registrar@pacificyearlymeeting.org. Please do not share the password with anyone who is not registered.
Schedules and Agendas
See also AS LIVE 2021 for Zoom links and additional information for registered attenders only.
- Schedule for AS 2021 (version of 7/15, replacing 6/10)
- The Schedule Explained 2021
- Retreat for Friends of Color July 17 preceding Annual Session
- Plenary Agendas for AS 2021 (a Google Doc, as agendas are subject to change)
- Sacred Space Witnessing during PacYM Plenaries (from the Racial Justice Subcommittee)
- Interest Group Descriptions and Schedule (version of 7/15, replacing 5/28)
- Worship Sharing Guidelines
- JYM (teens) Schedule 2021
- EarthLight Bookstore Events including Author Talks (version of 7/21, replacing 6/19)
Gabriela Portillo Alvarado, a Friend raised in Pacific Yearly Meeting, Sacramento Friends Meeting, is now a junior at the University of Pennsylvania studying political science, Latinx studies, and Spanish. Avotcja (Avacha) Jiltonilro, a Friend in Strawberry Creek Friends Meeting, is a poet, musician, and playwright. They will share their reflections on the theme of Annual Session.
Led by Regina Renee Ward. Regina Renee is a member of Ujima Friends Peace Center in Philadelphia. She is a public librarian and former public school teacher. She is passionate about social justice, intellectual freedom, reading, and building community. Her work with Friends and racial healing was born out of necessity as she navigates life both as a woman of African descent and a Christian Friend. Regina Renee serves Friends General Conference as the clerk of Nurturing Ministries Committee and as co-clerk of the Institutional Assessment Implementation Committee. Her favorite Book in the Bible is James. Her life verse is Micah 6:8.
Early Quaker Writings
Adventures from the Journals of Early Friends
Bob and Kathy Runyan are convinced Friends who served as Ben Lomond Quaker Center directors from 2011 to 2019. They have lead and facilitated numerous Quaker workshops particularly focused on early Quaker writings. Bob is a piano technician and currently the clerk of Chico Friends Meeting. Kathy is the lead teacher in a preschool at Chico State University and serves on the Ministry and Oversight Committee for both College Park Quarterly Meeting and Chico Friends Meeting.
- The following are the readings. You do NOT need to read them in advance. Just come.
- For Monday’s session: THE TRIAL OF FRANCIS HOWGILL abridged and the TESTAMENT, WILL, and COUNSEL TO HIS DAUGHTER ABIGAIL abridged
- For Tuesday’s session: Resistance-and-Obedience-to-God_pp.46-54
The individual reports are also included in the all-in-one Advance Packet that is linked above, except for those marked not in Advance Packet.
- Look for the following items below, that are not in Advance Packet
- Western Friend Annual Report (as distinct from Rep to WF Report)
- Unity with Nature Committee corrected a name misspelling
- Racial Justice Subcommittee report, posted 7/24, updated again 7/24
- Nominating Committee Updates, posted 7/24, replaced by another posted 7/26 (add’l nominations and revised proposals)
- Epistle Excerpts from other yearly meetings selected by the Reading Clerk, posted 7/25
- Communications Committee revised database policy proposal, posted 7/27.
- Registrar‘s Report, posted 7/27
- Statistical Report, revised, posted 7/28
- Treasurer‘s Report, revised, posted 7/28
- Childrens-Program-Report-to-AS-2021 (revised 7/16)
- Communications Revised Database Policy Proposal 2021-07-27-to-AS-2021 (posted 7/27)(not in Advance Packet)
- Ministry-Report-to-AS-2021 (corrected 7/16)
- Nominating-Report-to-AS-2021 (corrected 7/16)
- Nominating-Updates-07-24-to-AS-2021 (posted 7/24) (not in Advance Packet) OBSOLETE
- Nominating-Updates-07-26-to-AS-2021 (posted 7/26)(not in Advance Packet)
- Racial-Justice-Report-to-AS-2021.v2 (posted 7/24, then re-posted as v2) (not in Advance Packet)
- Reading-Clerk-Epistle-Excerpts-for-AS-2021 (posted 7/25)(not in Advance Packet)
- Reading-Clerk-Epistle-Excerpts-with-Full-Epistles-for-AS-2021 (6.8 MB)(posted 7/25)(not in Advance Packet)
- Registrars-Report-to-AS-2021 (posted 7/27) (not in Advance Packet)
- Statistical-Report-to-AS-2021 (OBSOLETE)
- Statistical-Report-to-AS-2021.v3 (revised report, posted 7/28) (not in Advance Packet)
- Statistical-Summary-By-Meeting-2021 is included in the revised report.
- Treasurer-Report-to-AS-2021 (OBSOLETE)
- Treasurers-Report-to-AS-2021.v2 (revised report, posted 7/28) (not in Advance Packet)
- Unity-with-Nature-Report-to-AS-2021.v2 (one name corrected) (not in Advance Packet, though the uncorrected one is)
Reports from Representatives to Outside Organizations
- FCLCA-Rep-Report to AS 2021
- Western-Friend-Annual-Report-FY2020 (report from “WF itself”, not in Advance Packet)
Deadlines that Have Passed
- INTEREST GROUP Proposals: Sunday, March 7 (the end of RepCom weekend) was the deadline for committees to submit seasoned proposals for Interest Groups at Annual Session 2021. See How to Schedule an Interest Group at Annual Session for details so you’ll be ready next year.
- Reports: Officer, Committee and Representative reports were due Monday, July 5. See the Corrected Guidelines for content and formatting, as well as information for submitting reports. Those who wish may also use the reports template. (Note: The previous guidelines had a typo in the email address for submission.)
- Registration: Friday, July 16. See below.
- Payment for registration: see above under Registration
- The deadline for registration was Friday, July 16. Contact the Registrar directly (Registrar@pacificyearlymeeting.org) to find out what your options are now.
- Payment (if you registered but didn’t use PayPal to pay): send a check made out to “Pacific Yearly Meeting” to:
Pacific Yearly Meeting Registrar
c/o Lawrence Alderson
10 Leeds Lane
Aliso Viejo, CA, 92656