FGC Institutional Assessment on Systemic Racism – Status Update

Vanessa Julye, the Coordinator for the Friends General Conference Committee for Ministry on Racism, shares the following status update with Pacific Yearly Meeting Friends:

The October Progress Report for the Institutional Assessment on Racism is posted on the FGC website at the following link:

https://www.fgcquaker.org/news/october-report-institutional-assessment-racism-task-force-recommendations-fgc-central-committee

In short, the approved Central Committee minute reads as follows:

Central Committee approves the establishment of a group to implement the work of the Institutional Assessment on Systemic Racism within Friends General Conference. Its charge shall be to guide the transformation of Friends General Conference into an anti-racist organization.

Consistent with the decision of Central Committee in 2017 to prioritize the work of anti-racism, FGC commits to work to eliminate white supremacy within the Religious Society of Friends and to model anti-racism as we support the work of this implementation group.

Central Committee authorizes the Institutional Assessment Working Group (IAWG) to serve as a naming committee to bring forward the names of eight Friends to serve on this implementation group. The names for the implementation group shall be brought forward for approval to Executive Committee at its winter 2019 meeting. The individuals to be recommended shall constitute at least 50 percent Friends of Color and consideration shall be given to include Young Adult Friends and broad geographic representation.

The implementation Group will use the information and recommendations from the Institutional Assessment on Systemic Racism within Friends General Conference 2018 report to begin their work and its work shall not be limited to the scope of the report and its recommendations. The implementation group shall be accountable to Central Committee and will report its progress to each Executive Committee Meeting and annually to Central Committee. Central Committee authorizes the IAWG to propose an appropriate budget to support the work of the implementation group and authorizes the Executive Committee to approve that budget at its winter 2019 meeting.

Please share this historical work with the other members of Pacific Yearly Meeting.

In Friendship, Vanessa

Status Report on PYM Minutes Packets

Short summary:

Annual Session and Representative Committee “Minutes and Reports Packets” are now available for the years 2013-2018.   There is also a new standalone list of all PYM Minutes of Action for the years 2001-2018.  Links to these documents can be found on a new page dedicated to PYM Minutes.

The new documents are currently designated as DRAFTS. Your feedback on these DRAFT packets would be appreciated before they are considered final.

The full report:

Pacific Yearly Meeting has a long tradition of  assembling the records (that is, the minutes and all of the committee reports) after each Annual Session into a “packet”.  This packet (running up to 100 pages or more in recent years) would be sent to Clerks (or their designees) of Monthly Meetings, Worship Groups and Preparatory Meetings as well as to PYM’s officers and committee clerks.  The same process would be followed for each meeting of Representative Committee.

Historically the packets were, of course, paper documents.  That began to change in 2001 when the first electronic packet (a PDF file) was published on the PYM website (which, I believe, wasn’t even official yet).  Since then PYM has gradually shifted from paper to electronic distribution, with both formats co-existing until 2012.  I like to say that “PYM successfully weaned itself off of paper in 2012,” for I believe that was the last year that a paper packet was printed.

At the same time, however, the process for collecting the electronic records into a single PDF file had, unfortunately, not yet been institutionalized.  As a result of a personnel change, institutional memory was lost.  Annual Session records for the years 2013 through 2016 were never assembled into packets.  They were only published as separate “items” (web posts or PDF files) on the website:  one item for each plenary session (9 or 10 posts or PDFs) and one or more “items” for each committee report (as many as 28, not including redundant or extraneous files that were also posted on the website each annual session).   Having the minutes and reports exist in dozens of separate files, and very irregularly organized files at that, has made reference to the minutes since 2013 very tedious and error prone.  Searching “the minutes” for particular items of interest was extremely difficult and frustrating.

Over the past year your Secretariat Clerk (myself) has been on a personal crusade to start publishing electronic Minutes and Reports Packets again.

I am happy to report that with the hard work of the Presiding Clerk, Diego Navarro, and the Recording Clerks, Jim Anderson and Sharlene Roberts-Caudle, we managed to publish electronic packets for the 2017 and 2018 Annual Sessions.  This involved a lot of research into past practices (which are very “uneven”, to say the least) and an unbelievable number of small arbitrary decisions about organization, formatting, referencing, and so forth.

I am even happier to report that, propelled by the momentum generated by finalizing the 2018 packet,  I have also finally pulled together draft packets for each of the “missing years,” 2013 through 2016.  In addition to the above mentioned people, past Clerk Steven Smith and Recording Clerks Julie Harlow, Amy Cooke, Stephen McNeil and Leslie Zondervan-Droz were also drafted into this reconstruction effort.  For these past years we don’t have the flexibility to change the content or format of the constituent “items”, but we do have some control over how they are combined and presented.  Also, some material is still being tracked down (in particular the 2014 and 2015 Meeting for Memorials names). (these packets have now been updated with the formerly-missing Meeting for Memorials information).

I invite the PYM community to examine these DRAFT packets which I recently uploaded.   I welcome feedback on the “packet” aspects: the title page, table of contents, Preface and the List of Action Minutes are all artifacts of combining the “items” into a packet.  So is the choice of which “reports” to include as attachments.  Tell me what “works for you” and what you would like to “see improved”.  What makes for a useful packet?  Also, of course, if you see any glaring errors or omissions, let me know of those too.  I’m sure there are some.

In service, George Mills, PYM Secretariat Clerk (Communications Committee), PYMSecretariat@gmail.com, November 2, 2018.  (Updated Nov 11 and Nov 29, 2018)

 

Coordinating Teams

During the evaluation session for Clerks and Officers at the end of the 2015 Annual Session, the issue was raised that coordination and communication could be improved among those involved in supporting the business of the Yearly Meeting. To this end, Diego Navarro (then Presiding Clerk) created five coordinating groups that meet via video conference for 1.5-hour conference calls, once in the Fall/Winter and once in the Spring. During the calls, information is shared about what each committee, officer, or representative is working on, how it might impact the next gathering (Representative Committee or Annual Session), and what assistance is needed from others on the Team.

[PDF version of this report: Coordinating Teams Description 2018-11-16]

The five Coordinating Teams are

  • Action
    • Nominating Committee Clerk
    • Latin American Concerns Committee Clerk
    • Peace & Social Order Committee Clerk
    • Racial Justice Subcommittee Clerk
    • Unity with Nature Committee Clerk
  • Quarterly Meetings
    • College Park Quarterly Meeting M&O Clerk
    • College Park Quarterly Meeting Presiding Clerk
    • Southern California Quarterly Meeting M&C Clerk
    • Southern California Quarterly Meeting Presiding Clerk
  • Youth
    • Children’s Program Coordinator
    • Children’s Program Committee Clerk
    • JYM Adult Committee Clerk
    • JYM Youth Clerks
    • Youth Programs Coordinator’s Supervisor
    • Youth Programs Coordinating Committee Clerk
  • Logistics
    • Arrangements Clerk
    • Children’s Program Coordinator
    • Communications Committee Clerk
    • Discipline / F&P Revision Committee Clerk
    • Finance Committee Clerk
    • Nominating Committee Clerk
    • Registrar
    • Secretariat Clerk
    • Treasurer
  • Delegates & Representatives
    • AFSC Reps Convener
    • Evangelical Friends Church Southwest Observer
    • FCLCA Rep
    • FCNL Reps Convener
    • FGC Central Committee Observer
    • Friends Bulletin Board Convener
    • Friends Peace Team Board Rep
    • FUM Observer
    • FWCC Reps Convener
    • QEW Rep
    • Reunión General Observer
    • William Penn House Rep

In addition, the Presiding Clerk, the Presiding Clerk’s Elder, the Assistant to the Clerk, the Clerks of M&O, and the Youth Programs Coordinator serve on all five teams.

This information posted 2018-10-15, revised 11-16, by Sharon Gates, Assistant to the Clerk

World Quaker Day

Friends are invited to celebrate World Quaker Day on Sunday, October 7, 2018.  Join with Quakers around the world from Alaska to Bolivia to Kenya to Great Britain to Japan to New Zealand to honor our common heritage.  Quakers make up a world-wide fellowship which includes a diverse population both ethnically and theologically.

You can find out more by visiting the World Quaker Day website:  www.worldquakerday.org.  There you will find more information plus lots of suggestions for celebrating this event.  There are cool videos and lots of ideas for lessons and activities. (Note that the scroll bar on the right side of the page may be a bit hard to find).

Sent on behalf of Emelyn Buskirk, convenor of PYM’s FWCC representative team 

Invitation to a Weekly Online Worship

Pacific Yearly Meeting 2018-2019 Eldering Subcommittee of Ministry and Oversight

Invitation to a Weekly Worship with Attention to the Spiritual Wellness of Our Pacific Yearly Meeting

All Pacific Yearly Meeting Friends are invited to an ongoing online meeting for worship with attention to the spiritual wellness of our yearly meeting. Sponsored and hosted by the Eldering Subcommittee of Ministry and Oversight, with the endorsement of the Yearly Meeting Clerk, Sandy Kewman, and Assistant to the Clerk, Sharon Gates, this half-hour meeting for worship will be held on the Zoom video conferencing platform Wednesdays, 7:00 pm Pacific Time.  Dress code is casual.

How it works:  Download the Zoom app to your computer, tablet, or phone at  https://zoom.us/  At 7:00 pm on Wednesdays, enter the meeting number, or click on the link.  You can also participate by calling in on your telephone to one of the numbers below.  We will start in worship, so please mute your microphone or phone as soon as you enter, and remember to unmute if you have spoken ministry to share.  If you forget to mute, the member of the Eldering Subcommittee who is hosting may mute you. If you click “Gallery View,” you will be able to see everyone, Hollywood Squares style.  If not, you will see only one person on “Speaker View.” Gallery View feels more like meeting for worship. For technical assistance, please email Carl Magruder at theearthquaker@gmail.com, or Mica Estrada at cheerful.mica@gmail.com

  • Ways to join the worship:
    • Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://zoom.us/j/892996243
    • Or iPhone one-tap :
      US: +16699006833,,892996243# or +14086380968,,892996243#
    • Or Telephone:
      Dial(for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location):
      US: +1 669 900 6833 or +1 408 638 0968 or +1 646 876 9923

Though skeptical about online worship at first, those of us who have tried it find this time together spiritually nourishing, and have come to look forward to Wednesday evenings with anticipation.

It is not expected that anyone will have perfect weekly attendance, but that the meeting will be kept by those who join in on any given Wednesday.

With Gratitude,

Eldering Subcommittee of M&O

 

2018 Annual Session Information for Registrants

The following Additional Information was sent in an email to everyone registered for the 2018 Annual Session as of July 7. This version has been corrected to supply a couple of missing web links.

Friends,

This is the one additional email that was promised to be sent out with important information about Annual Session. Please read its contents carefully.

Arriving on Friday. Rooms will become available to move into between 2-4pm, with all rooms available by 4pm. If you are able, please arrive at least an hour or two before dinner (5:30pm) so that you can check in (beginning at 2pm) and get set up in your room or pitch your tent. Arriving and being together prior to dinner helps us to be gathered and ready for the first plenary.

If you are expected at one of the Friday afternoon meetings (3:15pm parents of children; 4pm parents of teen; 4:45pm Monthly Meeting representatives) please be sure to arrive in time to attend. These meetings are very important.

Worship sharing options. Worship Sharing groups form a “home base” for those who choose to participate, sharing in a safe and confidential setting on queries that promote deep reflection. Worship Sharing is offered in the morning at the same time as Early Quaker Writings or in the afternoon at the same time as Bible Study. If you wish to participate in worship sharing, you should be prepared to give the team at registration your preferences for morning or afternoon and for couples only, LGBTQ, easy accessibility, or the regular mixed groups.

Committee reports. Please read all the committee reports on the website before coming to Annual Session. Good business process is enabled by the body being informed ahead of time. All reports are, or will soon be, posted online here (https://www.pacificyearlymeeting.org/annual-session-minutes-reports/2018-annual-session-info-reports-minutes/) and will also be posted in hard copy on the exterior wall of the dining hall and will be in the Information Tent at Walker Creek.

Volunteer opportunities. Thank you to all the Friends who indicated an interest in volunteering at Annual Session. Our system for connecting volunteers with needs for volunteers is still evolving. We hope to have someone at registration to help connect volunteers and people who need volunteers. Some of the opportunities to get involved will include:

  • Putting up posters with names for the Meeting for Memorials
  • Driving the golf cart
  • Greeting Friends at the door of the main tent
  • Assisting parents and others with carrying trays at meal times
  • Helping out at the Bookstore
  • Children’s program

PYM Committee Listening times. There are some times on the schedule (Saturday and Monday at 4:45pm) specifically set aside for Friends to meet with PYM Committees. Please come ready to engage with the committees during those times as we expect most questions to be answered then, and not during plenary.

Dining Hall.  Following a successful trial last year, we will again ring a bell around the dining hall and on the patio after meals and when plenaries are about to begin. We have found that this helps to make Friends aware of the plenary starting soon and help everyone be present and settled before the plenary starts.

The whole community at Annual Session is invited to participate in a short grace during breakfast, lunch, and dinner over the course of the week. One Friend will call for a brief moment of worship by raising their hand. Please also raise your hand to help call for quiet. Grace may come in the form of silent worship or a song, depending on what arises. Friends may be in line getting food or eating when grace begins. Please stop what you are doing for a moment to settle into worship.

Please do not raise your hand in the dining hall to make announcements because many Friends are not able to hear the message and it is disruptive. If you have an announcement to make, please give it to the Assistant to the Clerk to read during plenary or put in the Daily Miracle. If your announcement is urgent, please go to the Information Tent and look for a Friend to assist you.

Evaluation summary from last year’s Annual Session. A summary of evaluations from Annual Session 2017 can be found on the PYM website.

Clerk’s Call. Please read the Clerk’s Call to PYM 2018 Annual Session in advance of Annual Session to help be prepared for, and understand, the theme of this year’s session: “Faithfulness: A Call to Practice Radical Vulnerability and Love.”

Bookstore and Guatemala Gift sales. The EarthLight Bookstore will be back and open for business, selling Quaker and other literature and items both useful and playful. EarthLight take books and recordings by Friends on consignment and appreciate contact in advance to do that (farley@spont.com). Like most years, Guatemala crafts (old favorites and new gift items) will be sold throughout the week. All proceeds go to support poor rural Mayan university students in Guatemala. If you may be interested in purchasing items, please bring cash or checks.

Finally, for the safety and comfort of members of our community, please refrain from bringing or using strong fragrances.

Again, if you have any questions about your registration, please contact the co-Registrars at pacificyearlymeetingregistrar@gmail.com

Thank you, Friends!

Sharon Gates
Assistant to the Clerk of PYM

Launch of the Faith and Practice Revision Process – A Request

Dear Friends,

The Faith and Practice Revision Committee invites you to engage in the “rolling revision” process of prayerfully discerning how our Faith and Practice can support meetings and individuals as we seek to live an authentic Quaker spirituality.  The first round of revisions is now ready for your consideration.

We request that monthly meetings and other bodies review the proposed revisions together and send us those points upon which they found unity. If no unity is found, a brief description of the feel of the meeting is welcome. We anticipate that this process will occur three (or so) times per year, as new revised pieces are presented.

For Summer/Fall of 2018, there are three pieces to consider. The first segment is a revision to our advices and queries on “Reaching Out.”  The second is a new section on Leadings. The third describes the positions and roles of the Youth Programs Coordinator and the Youth Programs Coordinating Committee.  This will also be a new section to Faith and Practice.

Below you will find links to each of these sections, with instructions and the proposed text for each piece.

These same links and a fuller description of the “rolling revision process” can also be found on the F&P Revision Committee’s PYM webpage.

We would like to have responses to these three pieces by October 15, 2018. December 1, 2018.  Tracked changes, a scan of written edits, or other form of meeting response can be sent to:   PYM.FPRevision@gmail.com

Thank you.

The Faith and Practice Revision Committee

 

Racial Justice Resources

The following resources on racial justice are recommended by the Racial Justice Subcommittee of the Ministry and Oversight Committee.

Books

Menakem, Resmaa. 2017. My Grandmother’s Hands:  Racialized Trauma and the Pathway to Mending Our Hearts and Bodies

Author is a social worker who writes “Stop trying to address white supremacy through dialog. Don’t expect to change the world by teaching tolerance. Forget about changing attitudes. They all miss the mark.  Racism is not only about the head. It’s also about the body. The body is where we live. It’s where we fear, hope, and react; where we constrict and relax; and where we fight, flee, or freeze.This trauma doesn’t just affect African American bodies. White American bodies suffer their own historical trauma as well. So do the bodies of our police. We all need to recognize this trauma, metabolize it, work through it, and grow up out of it. Only in this way will we at last heal our bodies, our families, and the social body of our nation.  The process differs for African-American, European American, and police bodies. But all of us need to heal our racialized trauma—and, with the right guidance, all of us can.” https://www.resmaa.com/#book

Oluo, Ijeoma.  2018.  So you want to talk about race.

Ms. Oluo offers a contemporary, accessible take on the racial landscape in America, addressing head-on such issues as privilege, police brutality, intersectionality, micro-aggressions, the Black Lives Matter movement, and the “N” word. Perfectly positioned to bridge the gap between people of color and white Americans struggling with race complexities, Oluo answers the questions readers don’t dare ask, and explains the concepts that continue to elude everyday Americans.

Children’s Books

Lester, Julius. 2005.  Let’s Talk about Race

Our skin is just the covering of our body.  We are much more than our skin.  What is each one of our stories?  The art work is beautiful and the words will bring up many opportunities for readers to share their stories with each other.

Articles

DiAngelo, Robin.   “White Fragility” http://libjournal.uncg.edu/ijcp/article/view/249/116

Videos

Guidelines for Reports to Annual Session 2018

Friends, we ask for your support in using these guidelines to prepare your report to Annual Session 2018. We are working to make reports more readable for Friends to increase the number of people reading reports in advance.

Note that where these guidelines refer to committees, the intention is that the guidance applies equally to representatives/delegates from PYM to other organizations. Sub-Committees may submit their own reports in consultation with their Committee.

Reports should be emailed to the Assistant to the Clerk (PYMAssistanttotheClerk@gmail.com) by 6/22/2018.

Reports should provide an overview of the committee’s work, specifically work done since the previous Annual Session. Reports do not need to list all of the things the committee and its sub-committees or working groups have done during the year. Rather, reports should communicate how Spirit has moved through the committee since the last Annual Session. For purposes of clarity, more detailed and extensive information will be referred to as “news.” News should not be included in the report but may be posted in the committee’s section of the Annual Session web page and/or the committee’s page on the PYM website (by emailing to PYMAssistanttotheClerk@gmail.com). News can be printed and placed in the Information Tent for Friends to read during Annual Session. The contents of the reports will be merged into the final minutes document as attachments.

Reports from committees will be posted on the Annual Session web page and will be printed and posted on the dining room windows at Annual Session. To encourage broad readership, reports should be brief—most should be 1-2 pages long. If your committee’s draft report is 3 or more pages, talk to the Assistant to the Clerk at least 2 weeks before the reports deadline.

All committees should submit a report, even if it is brief. We want to create more awareness among the whole community and to continue to find ways to better support one another.

Because consistent formatting across reports make them easier to read, please use the following formatting:

  1. 1” margins
  2. 11 point Calibri font
  3. Section headings in bold
  4. Header (centered):  [Committee Name] Report to PYM Annual Session 2018
  5. Footer (centered):  Page X of Y
  6. Do not include photos, as these make creation of the minutes document more difficult and do not print well in black-and-white.
  7. A summary section at the top listing any action items and any specific requests (for example, key items for Meeting Representatives to convey). If there are no action items or requests, write “None” in this section.
  8. Highlight any action items and/or draft minutes in bold
  9. The last paragraph of the report should list the members of the committee, with the clerk’s name last followed by the word “Clerk” in parentheses.

You may use the attached template or you can set up the formatting yourself in your Word document.

Submit the report in Word format with the filename following the model

CommitteeName_Report_to_AS_2018

Do not submit the report in PDF format unless it has tricky formatting (such as the budget). This is to facilitate creation of the advance reports packet and of the Annual Session minutes.

Thank you for your support in these changes to the way we communicate from committees back to the Yearly Meeting. We hope that using these guidelines will increase the number of people reading the reports about your important work.

Sharon Gates, Assistant to the Clerk

 

 

Intervisitation with Baltimore Yearly Meeting

A Friendly invitation to Pacific Yearly Meeting Friends (and, indeed, to Friends everywhere) to “intervisit” with cousins across the country.  A nice opportunity for someone.

Baltimore Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends
17100 Quaker Lane
Sandy Spring, Maryland 20860-1267

tel: 301-774-7663
fax: 301-774-7087
info@bym-rsf.org

May 18, 2018

Dear Friends,

On behalf of Baltimore Yearly Meeting, I invite Friends from your Yearly Meeting to join us for our Annual Session, July 30–August 5, 2018 at Hood College in Frederick, Maryland. In particular, I ask for your help in extending a warm invitation to Friends who feel led to visit as part of our Intervisitation Program. The theme for the 2018 Annual Session is Radical Listening, Rooted in Love.

Registration is now open. Please consider who may be interested and able to attend now, so there is plenty of time to make travel plans. We are delighted to welcome all visitors, first-time or returning, for a day or the whole session.

Our Intervisitation Working Group will sponsor your members’ visits to our Annual Session and will serve as your hosts. We enthusiastically welcome all visitors from across the entire Quakerspectrum. Baltimore Yearly Meeting is able to cover up to a total of $630 of registration, as well as room and board at Hood College, which can be made available in whole for one member of your Yearly Meeting or split between two. At pre-June 25 shared-room registration rates, the $630 will cover registration and six days room and board for one adult or two adults for three days each. (For complete information on registration rates, see www.bym-rsf.org/events/annualsession/rates.html.) These funds are available on a first-come, first-served basis, and your funds go farther at pre-June 25 rates, so early registration is recommended. So we may reserve funds for as many visitors’ registrations as possible, we are unable to cover travel or visa expenses.

From its beginnings in 2005, our Friends in the Intervisitation program have visited with and welcomed visitors from all Yearly Meetings of North America, as well as around the world. We enjoy the presence of and being present with Friends all over, finding deep joy in our diversity.

For more information, please go to www.bym-rsf.org/events/annualsession/ or call the Yearly Meeting office at 301-774-7663. Please say that you are coming as part of Intervisitation. Those accepting the offer to cover registration costs, or anyone with any further questions about Intervisitation, should contact the working group at bymintervisitation@gmail.com, with a copy to Jade Eaton at jadeeaton@comcast.net who is coordinating visitors on behalf of the Working Group. Minutes or Letters of Introduction from your community are encouraged but not required.We read travel minutes at our meetings for worship with a concern for business. We hope your visitors can join us not just this year but also at subsequent annual sessions, thus coming to share with us more deeply.

In the Light,
Ken Stockbridge, Presiding Clerk

Enclosed:
Annual Session Information,
Intervisitation Working Group Mission Statement


Baltimore Yearly Meeting Annual Session – July 30 – August 5, 2018

Our Annual Session begins after lunch on Monday, July 30, with a retreat that extends through lunch the following day. Business sessions and worship, interspersed with worship sharing, Bible study, engaging evening speakers, afternoon workshops, interest groups, and rich fellowship including recreational activities full of music and fun begin after lunch on July 31. We close with meeting for worship and lunch on Sunday, August 5. The Intervisitation Working Group sponsors evening gatherings and workshops.

Theme of This Year’s Session: Radical Listening, Rooted in Love

It is a powerful discipline for the “listener” to try to listen without agenda, … abandoning the need or desire to appear knowledgeable, wise or comforting. There may be no more tellingly difficult spiritual practice than the effort to receive what is being said by someone else hospitably, without editing, without correction, without unsolicited advice. Yet it is this open listening that makes room for the Spirit of God to be present … –Patricia Loring, 1997

In times of crisis and discord, human instinct urges us to curl inward, to retreat into the familiar. Yet our faith tradition calls on us at precisely these moments to stand still in the Light, to open ourselves; for we know that without opening, rifts deepen and become fixed. At such times being rooted in love helps us surrender our defensive posture and step outward in an act of radical listening. Paul Tillich (Justice Power and Love) said, “In order to know what is just in a person-to-person encounter, love listens. It is its first task to listen.”

Listening deeply and unflinchingly to the spirit within, and in each other, can unlock a revolutionary love and uncover unexpected possibilities. Listening deeply to those who experience systemic injustice, as well as to those whose values seem antithetical to our own, can crack open our comfortable assumptions. Listening deeply to ourselves allows us to examine our biases, our fallibility, our own complicity, and to accept our own humanity. From this humble position, we can ready our hearts and ears to truly listen to another—to “lean in, softly, with a willingness to be changed by what we hear” (Mark Nepo). When we open to the humanity of a speaker, friend, or stranger, then we can see the other in us.

Location: Hood College, Frederick, MD

The Hood College campus is lovely and convenient. It is one hour from Baltimore or Washington, DC and accessible by public transportation. For more details, see www.bym-rsf.org/events/annualsession/registrationinfo.html


Baltimore Yearly Meeting Intervisitation Working Group Mission Statement

Approved by the working group, October 25, 2014

The Intervisitation Program of Baltimore Yearly Meeting (BYM) seeks to nurture the beloved community of Friends by encouraging, preparing, and supporting those who travel among Friends, both inside and outside of BYM. Our experience has shown the power of visiting in order to care for relationships within and among Yearly Meetings, especially where they are fragile, as well as to enjoy the richer, more abundant life available in the wide family of Friends. Through a simple “ministry of presence” we hope to be spiritually and prayerfully present, to listen deeply with love and without judgment, to be tender with another, not to bring our own agendas, and to get to know each other in that which is eternal. Visits will be in all directions, and involve both offering and receiving hospitality.