Quick links for 2018 JYM:
Watch this page for …..
Continue reading “Welcome to JYM 2018”
Dear PYM Friends,
Can you think of a Friend who’d be a good fit to volunteer with children or teens at Annual Session? Please send this message to them!
Continue reading “Volunteer with JYM or Children’s Program at 2018 PYM Annual Session: Application due May 20th”
In early February, a link to materials about affiliating with Friends General Conference was circulated: FAQ link on FGC Affiliation, February 2018
Monthly meetings were asked by Ministry and Oversight Committee (M&O) to review this information and reflect on the following queries in preparation for continued discernment at the 2018 Annual Session:
- What could Pacific Yearly Meeting and your monthly meeting gain by affiliating with FGC?
- What undesirable consequences might result from affiliating with FGC?
- What additional information would be helpful to members of your meeting in considering the pros and cons of affiliation?
As noted in February, we were not asking your monthly meeting to reach unity or make a recommendation as to whether or not to affiliate with FGC. We were asking monthly meetings to season this matter and send a summary of reflections from the seasoning process to M&O member Shan Cretin by April 30, 2018. After April 30, M&O will synthesize and share the reflections from monthly meetings and make this available prior to our discernment at Annual Session.
Several meetings have already reported back and other meetings are still engaged in seasoning. Since February, additional questions have surfaced and after Representative Committee Meeting in March, we asked FGC staff to provide the following additional information:
- A list of programs initiated over the past 10 years
- A list of programs laid down over the past 10 years and any programs planned for laying down
- How has laying down Stewardship Services affected fundraising, including major donors, annual budget, potential bequests? What has replaced Stewardship Services and how is it functioning?
- A description of the role of affiliated yearly meetings in initiating or laying down programs
- FGC current structure has been called too large and unwieldy—What, if any, plans are there to change it?
- The current FGC budget and end of year financial reports for the previous 5 years.
In response to this request, FGC staff have compiled additional information that is now available at this link: Responses to PacYM Questions April 2018.
A summary of the process M&O is undertaking to bring this matter to the Yearly Meeting is available at this link: M&O Process for Discerning Possible Affiliation with FGC since 2014.
Rather than wait until we have synthesized monthly meeting responses, we are providing this information now and ask all meetings, including those that have already reported back, to circulate this new link to all meeting members.
If you have any questions, please contact M&O Member Shan Cretin: firstname.lastname@example.org
Kylin Navarro and Sally Kingsland, Co-Clerks, Ministry and Oversight Committee
Please share with your meetings and invite f/Friends:
Paula Palmer (Boulder Friends Meeting, Intermountain Yearly Meeting) will be traveling in the ministry among Northern California PYM Friends, March 28 – April 17, 2018. In addition to leading a weekend workshop at Ben Lomond Quaker Center, she will be offering workshops, presentations, and film discussions at many local meetings. Please see list below and links to further information.
Continue reading “Toward Right Relationship with Native Peoples — Paula Palmer visiting California, March 28-April 17, 2018”
Friends are invited to the upcoming, 42nd session of the General Meeting of Friends in Mexico (RGAM) to be held May 5 and 6 in San Nicolás de los Garza in the northeastern state of Nuevo León. This year’s theme is “Are our young people called to serve God?”
Continue reading “Reunión General / General Meeting of Friends in Mexico (RGAM), May 5-6, 2018”
5th Annual Spring Youth Service Learning Camp
March 26-30, 2018
(Monday-Friday leading up to Easter weekend)
Quaker Oaks Farm
Visalia, CA, USA
A partnership of Quaker Oaks Farm, the Wukchumni Yokuts Tribe,
and Pacific Yearly Meeting Youth Programs
See the Quaker Oaks Farm website for details and online application.
Come explore and learn about the Land, Plants and Indigenous People of Pa’an. We will learn how to use the Plants around us for Food, Tools and Fun. We will work to restore the Earth and understand the ways we are bound together with all Creation. We will share our Histories and Love one another across Seeming Divides, all through Fun, Interactive Activities.
WAYS TO HELP:
- Help a potential camper APPLY ONLINE (Deadline for Priority Registration has ended, but we are accepting additional applications. Time is of the essence if you want to be considered for the remaining openings. )
- Post the FLYER at your Meeting House, School, Clubhouse, etc.
- SHARE our Fundraising Appeal Letter
- VOLUNTEER: Contact Melissa Lovett-Adair, email@example.com
- Request our model “Letter to Teachers” for a student who wants to take time off from school to participate in camp and/or get school credit
- SPREAD this message among friends!
Continue reading “Spring Youth Service-Learning Camp with Wukchumni Tribe, Quaker Oaks Farm, March 26-30, 2018”
PDF version: Clerks Call to RepCom 2018
Clerk’s Call to
PYM Representative Committee 2018:
FAITHFULNESS: A CALL TO PRACTICE RADICAL VULNERABILITY
Continue reading “Clerk’s Call to PYM Representative Committee 2018”
We have heard from members of Redwood Forest Meeting (in Santa Rosa), Grass Valley Meeting, and Lake County Worship Group. The Redwood Forest Meeting Resident Friend, Eric Moon, reports that he and the Meeting House are safe, though electricity and phone service are out. Friends House has been evacuated. Another Redwood City Friend, Julian Garrett, reports that he and other Friends have been evacuated but are doing well at this time. Amy Cooke (Grass Valley and Sierra Friends Center) shares that while there are fires close to the Center, they are gradually being contained and do not appear to be going in the direction of the center. The Center is also without power, but hoping to be back online by Friday when College Park Quarterly Meeting is scheduled to take place. Mary Miche (Lake County/Redwood Forest) reports that she is okay as are other members of the Lake County Worship Group, though some were evacuated. We will continue to post updates to the PYM website and Facebook group as events progress. Our hearts are with you all.
— Kylin Navarro, PYM M&O Committee, 10/10/17
Note: There are some more recent updates from individuals on the unofficial “Pacific Yearly Mtg.” Facebook Group (opens in a new tab)
Cathy Walling’s Reports to YPCC and PYM 2017 on Travelling in the Ministry to Australia (PDF)
These two reports (combined in one document) from Cathy Walling to PYM and the YPCC are also included in the (forthcoming) supplement to the YPCC Report to PYM Annual Session 2017, all to be posted on the Annual Session 2017 webpage.