FAQ PYMcloud Interest Group 2013

[Download version]

[Web version]

Cloud Computing (Generic Concept)

What is Cloud Computing in general?

(From Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_computing )

Cloud computing is an [informal] expression used to describe a variety of different types of computing concepts that involve a large number of computers (actual or virtual) that are connected through a real-time communication network (typically the Internet). Cloud computing is a jargon term without a commonly accepted non-ambiguous scientific or technical definition… The popularity of the term can be attributed to its use in marketing to sell hosted services….

OK, so what is “PYMcloud” as a concept?

(“PYMcloud” name is optional marketing term. Alternate name suggestions are welcomed)

We envision creating various web services to fully support the organizational function of Worship Groups, Monthly Meetings, Quarterly Meetings and Pacific Yearly Meeting inclusively.

Some examples of these functions are:

  • Basic web presence for each entity within PYM, with Meeting location (with maps/directions option), hours of Meeting for Worship, contact information etc.
  • Secured Directory service with granular details of Member/Attender status, Member of/Attending location(s) … MM/Quarterly/Yearly committee work, preferred method of contact etc.
  • Focused communication at all levels using the single-source of real-time Directory data e.g. Presiding Clerk could send communication to all MM Clerks Peace & Social Order Clerk could distribute a Minute from YM to all local MM P&SO clerks; Youth Program Coordinator can locate all meetings with certain age groups to provide local service-work opportunity in a geographically-centered area; Clerks from Finance committees or Treasurers could communicate directly with each other about best auditing practices, etc.
  • Shared Calendar of events for all entities so everyone can see scheduling conflicts before events are planned.

Some optional functions that can be added to the base-line concepts are:

  • Open-Source Library database system that is shared between Monthly Meetings.
  • Searchable Document storage and retrieval system for Minutes (both inward-focused private content and outward-focused public interest), Committee reports, etc.
  • Yearly Meeting Event Registration functions using the same database of individual contacts as is used for the Directory and Communication functions listed above.

Who would be responsible for setting up and managing this system?

The Electronic Communications Subcommittee of PYM Ministry and Oversight. 

Who would manage the Directory Content type of data?

Once the infrastructure is setup and tested, we envision current Monthly Meeting Database clerks would have direct access to manage their own data via a web interface. We would have secure access controls and full revision tracking so we would know who accessed the database and which data was changed.

What are the underling technologies used to build the PYMcloud?

This project will consist of a primary hosting provider using Virtual Private Servers (VPS) (possibly physically located outside of the U.S.A.); Drupal, an open source Content Management System (CMS) for web content controls; CiviCRM, an open source CMS for database and event registrations; and other open source modules can be added as options and needs grow, such as the Library system or Document Storage systems.

What are the annual budget needs for PYMcloud?

We estimate an annual budget of $1500 as a baseline, and this amount is in the current budget proposal coming before you at this Annual Session. This amount can grow in future years as more options and functions are added in. This starting budget amount allows for annual contributions to the open-source community once we have a working system in place, as well as contingency fees should we need to hire outside technical assistance.

Electronic Communications Subcommittee email: electronic@pacificyearlymeeting.org

Don Bean, Conejo Valley, convener; Eric Moon, Berkeley; Tom Yamaguchi, Strawberry Creek; Kerwin Flowers, La Jolla; Brylie Oxley, Grass Valley

AS 2013 Statistical Report

[Download version]


[Web version]

Pacific Yearly Meeting Statistical Report – 2013

This report summarizes membership information within the monthly meetings of Pacific Yearly Meeting (PYM) for the statistical year ending May 31, 2013.

There are 37 Monthly Meetings. Twenty-four meetings are in College Park Quarterly Meeting (65% of the total), nine meetings are in Southern California Quarterly Meeting (27% of the total), and four meetings are not affiliated with a Quarterly Meeting (Big Island, Honolulu, Guatemala, and Mexico City), which represent 7% of the membership.

There are 15 worship groups:

  • Sierra Foothills Worship Group, under the care of Delta Meeting
  • Maui, Kauai, and Molokai Worship Groups under the care of Honolulu Meeting
  • Southern Humboldt Worship Group, under the care of Humboldt Meeting
  • Las Vegas Worship Group, under the care of Inland Valley Friends Meeting
  • Conejo Valley and Whitleaf, under the care of Orange Grove Monthly Meeting
  • Friends House, Ukiah, and Lake County Worship Groups under the care of Redwood Forest Meeting
  • West Marin Worship Group, under the care of San Francisco Meeting
  • Ojai Worship Group, under the care of Santa Barbara Monthly Meeting
  • Oakland Worship Group, under the care of Strawberry Creek Meeting
  • Oaxaca Worship Group, under the care of Mexico City.

The largest Meetings are: Strawberry Creek (99), Palo Alto (97), and Berkeley (94). Seven Meetings have 9 or fewer members.

Overall membership within the Pacific Yearly Meeting has decreased by 44, for a total of 1,346, down from 1,390 last year.

Eighteen people joined by convincement, 26 members died, and 22 members were released or withdrew. Eleven members transferred into Meetings; 17 transferred out.

Within the past 10 years, PYM member meetings were blessed with a high of 1,534 members (2004). The lowest number of members is in 2013.  Total membership was down 3.2% for this statistical year, and the ten-year loss is 11.5%

A 10-year Year-over-Year view of PYM membership changes, and the number and types of changes per Meeting, will be available on the Pacific Yearly Meeting Website.

Respectfully submitted, Lee Knutsen, PYM Statistical Clerk


2013 AS Report from Rep Support Subcommittee

[Download version]


[Web version]

Representative Support Subcommittee

Of Ministry & Oversight Committee

Report to PYM Annual Session 2013

Rep Support subcommittee:  Tom Yamaguchi, Don Bean, Sandy Kewman, Carol Mosher as M&O liaison

This support subcommittee was brought into existence 2010 to increase communication from Monthly meetings and all the functions of PYM and back again.

These are your subcommittee reps and the meetings that each rep supports:

Tom:  Redding, Palo Alto, Reno, SF, Appleseed, Berkeley, Napa-Sonoma

Sandy:  Central Coast, Davis, Guatemala, Honolulu, Humboldt, Sacramento, San Jose,  Santa Cruz, Visalia

Don: Claremont, Inland Valley, LaJolla,  Marloma Long Beach, Orange County, Orange Grove, San Diego, Santa Barbara, Santa Monica

Carol:  Mexico City, Mendocino, Marin, Delta, Redwood Forest, Chico, Fresno, Live Oak

1.  Reps are urged to read the Pac Y M website frequently: http://pacificyearlymeeting.org

2. We recommend an alternative to the PYM annual session and Rep Com Meetings if meetings can do so.

3. Changes each year in reps, Meetings PLEASE  inform Patricia Smith, assistant clerk or Sandy Kewman.

4. Please share with your meetings the proceedings of Rep Com, particular, the whole report from the PYM Youth Coordinator Supervisory Committee (on line at  website above).

5. Please familiarize yourself with tuition application so you can advise Friends in your meetings and encourage attendance at Annual Session.

6. Please know the dates of Annual Session  July 29 to Aug 3, 2013 at Mt. Madonna in Watsonville.

7. Please do not hesitate to contact your Rep Support Subcommittee person with any PYM questions or feedback:

Tom Yamaguchi  tomyamaguchi@mac.com

Don Bean ddbean@mac.com

Carol Mosher cabmosher@gmail.com

Sandy Kewman srosekewman@gmail.com


Respectfully submitted,

Sandy Kewman

2013 Annual Session report – Treasurer

[Download version]

[Web version]

Pacific Yearly Meeting

Treasurer’s Report-Narrative

Annual Session

July, 2013

PYM has two accounts; the General Account for all economic activity outside of the Session, and the Session Account. For both accounts, the fiscal year is October 1st through September 30th.

Items of Note

General Account

  • For the General Account, this report covers the years 2011-12 and year-to-date, 10/01/2012 through 06/30/2013.
  • Income from Monthly Meetings (#4101) for this fiscal year, as of 6/30/2013, is $112,214. Thank you!
  • In the current fiscal year, $4,000 has been moved from the Youth Program Reserve to the general account. The current (06/30/13) balance in the Youth Program Reserve is $13,383.
  • We have a $20,000 3-year loan to Friends House. The interest on this 3%, which is much better than any CD we can get at this time.
  • FGC Scholarship (#2735) is used to support Young Friends to attend FGC. This account now has a balance of $1,979, down from $20,460 in 2000.
  • On page 3 of the report, I’ve added Donations to Restricted Funds. Thank you!

Session Account

  • For the 2012 Session, income exceeded expenses by $20,709.
  • As of June 30, 2013, we had $87,553 in the Session bank account. We also have deposits of $4,000: $2,000 with Mt. Madonna for 2013 and $2,000 with Walker Creek for 2014.

Respectfully submitted,
Ed Flowers


2013 Annual Session Report — Youth Program Coordinator Supervisory Committee

[Download version]

[Web version]

Youth Program Coordinator Supervisory Committee
Report to PYM Annual Session, July 2013

The Youth Program Coordinator Supervisory Committee (YPCSC) and Youth Program Coordinator (YPC) made a detailed report to Representative Committee in March 2013. That report included results of our extensive program evaluation and an explanation of the discernment process that led us to recommend the following Proposed Minute: Pacific Yearly Meeting will continue to support the paid Youth Program Coordinator position. Our evaluation report can be found on the PYM website: http://www.pacificyearlymeeting.org/2013/pym-docs/ypc-evaluation-report-to-repcom-march-2013/

In response to our evaluation report and presentation, Representative Committee passed Action Minute 2013.01: “Representative Committee recommends to Pacific Yearly Meeting Annual Session that the paid Youth Program Coordinator position be continued.” Southern California Quarterly Meeting approved a similar minute at its business meeting in April 2013. In addition, the adult members of College Park Quarterly Meeting’s (CPQM) Teen Program Committee delivered an epistle in May 2013 that included a description of some ways the YPC has nurtured growth in CPQM: http://www.pacificyearlymeeting.org/2013/pym-docs/ypc/epistle_adults_of_cpqm_teen_program_spring_2013/

The narrative that accompanied Representative Committee’s Action Minute noted that there would need to be additional discussion at the Annual Session on related questions and issues as outlined on pages 13-15 of the evaluation report, and we call Friends’ attention to them. There will be varied opportunities for discussion of these topics during Annual Session, and Nominating Committee will bring forward a minute to simplify the nominations process for the YPCSC. We have offered, via our Youth Program Epistle and an email sent by the PYM Presiding Clerk, to provide phone consultations and visits to address Friends’ questions, ideas, or concerns in advance of Annual Session; as of the writing of this report in early July, we have received no such requests. At Annual Session, our committee and coordinator will facilitate a number of activities for Friends of all ages to participate in visioning about the future of our intergenerational community and the paid YPC position, including an intergenerational plenary, an interest group, and open committee meetings, in addition to the scheduled Meeting for Worship on the Occasion of Business for discernment about continuing the YPC position.

Our epistles and other archived communications are available on the “Youth” page of the PYM website (http://www.pacificyearlymeeting.org/youth/), and we also operate a Facebook Page (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pacific-Yearly-Meeting-Youth-Programs/114350215310651?fref=ts).

Youth Program Committee: Kate Watkins (Clerk, Santa Monica), Cara Arcuni (Palo Alto), Sophie Brinker (Santa Cruz), Clare Griese (La Jolla), Lanny Jay (Redwood Forest), Mary Klein (Palo Alto), Steve Leeds (San Francisco), Jim Summers (La Jolla), Nathan Walker (Palo Alto); Youth Program Coordinator: Alyssa Nelson (Davis).

Attachments available in download version:
1) Summary of Evaluation Report (2 pages), and
2) pp. 13-16 of Evaluation Report (3 pages)


2013 Annual Session Ministry and Oversight Committee

[Download versions]

[Web versions (excluding SotM reports – they are only available as PDF linked to above)]

 Pacific Yearly Meeting

Ministry and Oversight Committee

June, 2013

Ministry and Oversight Committee has labored during this past year with a concern for our Annual Sessions and how they serve our Yearly Meeting as a whole.  Friends have indicated that they attend Annual Session for three primary reasons: to deepen their spiritual lives, to engage in fellowship with a wider body of Friends, and to engage in the spirit-led search for unity.

 Two interrelated issues continue to be raised up—those of privilege and fair representation.  As the cost of attending Annual Session increases, it becomes more difficult for those of lesser financial means to attend and becomes more difficult for monthly meetings to support financial assistance for their members.  Consequently, we are seeing lower overall attendance as well as a less diverse attendance, including reduced attendance from some of our smaller monthly meetings.  This is troubling to us as many of our Yearly Meeting’s major decisions are made during Annual Session.  How do we reconcile our testimony of equality with the fact that our Annual Sessions are becoming more and more privileged?

As we have worked together and with our subcommittees over the past year to support the spiritual life of our Yearly Meeting, our work falls into three main categories:  outreach and support to monthly meetings, support to the Yearly Meeting infrastructure, and preparing for the Annual Session.

Outreach and Support

The outreach to our monthly meetings includes improving communication between the Yearly Meeting and the monthly meetings and reaching out to our more outlying and distant meetings.  The Representative Support Subcommittee continues to hold phone calls with monthly meeting representatives to disseminate PYM news and to encourage monthly meetings to make their concerns known to the Yearly Meeting.  The Support for Distant Meetings Subcommittee has visited Guatemala and Mexico City this past year and is making plans to visit Honolulu and Big Island in 2014.  A Visiting Friend Support Subcommittee has been formed and now has enough members to function effectively.  They hope to bring an announcement to Annual Session informing us when that program will begin, how Friends can apply to be the Visiting Friend, and how monthly meetings can get on the schedule.  The Ministry and Leadings Subcommittee has explored how to assist monthly meetings in identifying, supporting, and providing accountability for Friends’ leadings.


Through the work of the Experimentation and Implementation Subcommittee (and the former Futures Committee) we have recognized that the Yearly Meeting includes both the Annual Session and the workings of the organization year-round.  We are committed to supporting both aspects of our Yearly Meeting.  The Experimentation and Implementation Subcommittee brought us schedule changes in 2012 which were very positively received, but are not possible to maintain at the site where we will meet in 2013.  We hope to bring back these schedule changes in 2014, along with some modifications that we learned as a result of that experiment.  One thing that we are able to maintain is the concept of introducing an item of business early in the week, allowing time for seasoning, and taking up the decision at a later plenary session.

We continue to receive suggestions for ways of scheduling our Annual Sessions and undertaking our business that would involve less expense, less travel, and more opportunity for building community, but none of the ideas brought forward so far seem fully workable.  We expect to keep listening, both at the Annual Session and afterward, and are looking forward to conducting a survey of PYM members and attenders in the fall, including those who do not attend the Annual Session.

The Electronic Communications Subcommittee is a hidden strength of our Yearly Meeting.  Working behind the scenes, they maintain our Yearly Meeting website, giving us access to prior Yearly Meeting and Representative Committee minutes as well as current committee reports so that we can participate in our Yearly Meeting in a more informed manner.  This year, we are putting the State of the Meeting reports on the Pacific Yearly Meeting website, and you will find them in two batches: Southern California Quarterly Meeting and College Park Quarterly Meeting.  In addition the subcommittee has been of assistance to the registrars in supporting the online registration.

The Annual Session

We have been preparing for the Ministry and Oversight Plenary where you will hear excerpts from the State of the Meeting reports, listen to some brief statements from a few Friends describing how they are being “reached by the life”, and where you will have the opportunity to respond out of the silence.  Worship-sharing groups and the Meeting for Memorials are being organized.  Several interest groups are being sponsored by Ministry and Oversight and its subcommittees:

  • Electronic Communication Subcommittee:  PYM in the Cloud—What it is and why we need it.
  • Racial Justice Subcommittee:  When we work together:  Allies across racial lines
  • Ministry and Oversight, Steve Smith: Finding our Center, Changing the World
  • Ministry and Leadings Subcommittee:  What is the Meeting’s role in naming, nurturing, supporting and providing accountability for Ministry and Leadings?

Submitted on behalf of the Ministry and Oversight Committee,

Barbara Babin, clerk


Ministry and Oversight Subcommittees 2012-13
Electronic Communication Subcommittee
Don Bean, Conejo Valley, convener
Eric Moon, Berkeley
Tom Yamaguchi, Strawberry Creek
Kerwin Flowers, La Jolla
Brylie Oxley, Grass Valley
Experimentation and Implementation Subcommittee
Paul Harris, Redwood Forest, convener
Valerie Nuttman, Santa Cruz
Sherri Sisson, Orange County
Marilee Eusebio, Davis
Ministry and Leadings Subcommittee
Sue Torrey, Central Coast, convener
Laura Magnani, Berkeley
Judith Favor, Claremont
Elaine Emily, Strawberry Creek
Outreach to Wider Circle of Friends* Subcommittee
Rolene Walker, San Francisco
Claire Gorfinkel, Orange Grove
Racial Justice Subcommittee
Laura Magnani, Co‐clerk, Berkeley
Diego Navarro, Co‐clerk, Santa Cruz
Charla Robertson, Co‐clerk, Orange Grove
Alvaro Alvarado, Sacramento
John Cantu, Santa Cruz
Cayman Howard, Visalia
Heather Howard, Visalia
Deborah Marks, Strawberry Creek
Carl Magruder, Strawberry Creek
Steve Smith, Claremont
Jim Summers, La Jolla
Representative Support Subcommittee
Sandy Kewman, Grass Valley, convener
Don Bean, Conejo Valley
Tom Yamaguchi, Strawberry Creek
Visiting Friend Subcommittee
Eric Moon, Berkeley
Eva Miller, Inland Valley/Orange Grove
Pati Constantino, Mexico City
Martha Hunkins, Humboldt

2013 AS report Ad Hoc Committee

[Download version]

2013 AS report Ad Hoc Committee – Task Calendar Registration Team Selection (PDF file)

[Web version]

Pacific Yearly Meeting

Proposed Process for Selecting and Approving a
Contract Registration Service

Date Task Person/Committee Responsible
At Annual Session Announce that there will be an open process for selecting a registration team for Pacific Yearly Meeting.  All interested Meetings are encouraged to apply to be the Contract Registration Service for the upcoming year.  Details will be announced by November 1. Registrars
End of September Read and interpret evaluations and other comments regarding the registration process for the current year’s Annual Session Outgoing registrars, current registrars,   Ministry and Oversight liaison, Assistant Clerk
October Develop a “Call for Contract Registration Service” based on PYM needs.  Reference job description held by Nominating Committee.     Update description, if necessary, based on registration team experience and evaluations.  Send to Presiding Clerk for review. When approved send to Assistant Clerk for dispersal. Outgoing registrars, current registrars, Ministry and Oversight liaison
First of November Issue “Call for Contract Registration Service” to all Meetings Assistant clerk
November to January Field questions from potential applicants Current registrars, Ministry and Oversight liaison
Mid January Applications due to registrars Current registrars
Mid January Review applications Current registrars, Ministry and Oversight Liaison, Assistant Clerk
Late January Negotiate contract if necessary.  Bring budget request to Finance Committee. Current registrars
February Select a Contract Registration Service to recommend to RepCom Current registrars, Ministry and Oversight Liaison, designee from Finance Committee
First of March Bring recommendation to RepCom for approval Current registrars
Following RepCom Get signatures on contract if necessary Current registrars
Following RepCom Begin working with Contract Reservation Service Current registrars


2013 AS Report Unity With Nature


[Web version]

2013 Report to Pacific Yearly Meeting Annual Session

Unity With Nature Committee

Unity With Nature Committee’s annual retreat was in January 2013. We were very fortunate to be invited back to Susan Swanstrom’s delightful Russian River retreat house. We enjoyed happy fellowship, thoughtful conversations, and forest hiking.

UWN received reports back from recipients of mini-grants. Casa de los Amigos in Mexico City installed a water-conserving urinal. Central Cost Meeting organized a community service day and built a shed for the Tenbrook community garden. Redding Meeting gifted several trees and seeds to the Sequoia School Community Garden. Longer summaries are appended below this report.

UWN co-sponsored the First Annual Quaker Oaks Spring Youth Work Camp, which combined service with learning about farming and sustainability. Quaker Oaks farm is just east of Visalia on the road to Sequoia National Park, and just southwest of a nature preserve. This Friend learned that the San Joaquin valley used to be a paradise before they rearranged the water.

Quaker Oaks farm is a hospitable place—home to Visalia meeting, the Unitarians, local Wukchumni tribal events, several families, and various gardens and orchards. Campers were honored with (and accepted) an invitation to join members of the local Wukchumni tribe in their sacred sweat lodge ceremony.

We invited applications for 2013 mini-grants, and have decided to award grants to all three applicants, Sierra Friends Center, Redding Friends Meeting, and Casa de los Amigos.

UWN seeks Friends, particularly young Friends, thoughts and ideas about how we can best minister to Friends in Pacific Yearly Meeting on the concern of Earthcare. An uncertain future of climate change approaches day by day, and right action is sometimes unclear, at other times daunting.

Friends’ traditional advocacy for peace and social sustainability must be integrated with ecological sustainability. A healthy world is required for healthy people. But as ecological sustainability dwindles, social sustainability inevitably will too. A planet that is being daily and widely abused simply loses carrying capacity.

The ecological emergency we face is a very slow emergency, and many other important concerns are more immediate. Embedded, trapped, in our fossil-fuel addiction, do-able changes seem marginal but abstention seems radical and practically impossible.

But we know humanity doesn’t need fossil fuels to survive. And we know that fossil fuels continue to reduce carrying capacity. We are called to work together to thoughtfully choose new ways—and traditional ways—of meeting our needs: clean air and water, healthy food, comfy shelter, and plenty of sleep and exercise. Success will require radical change.


Reports of PYM UWN Earthcare 2012 Mini-grant Outcomes

Casa de los Amigos, Mexico City

Casa de los Amigos’ Environmental Concerns Committee received a mini-grant to help purchase a flash boiler to heat water for a women’s dormitory and two bathrooms. However, shortly after their grant was awarded, a Meeting attender donated a smaller flash boiler. Thus, the folks at Casa de los Amigos decided to get a waterless urinal instead. Basically, the urine drains by gravity without requiring flushing, although only the simplest models don’t also have a trap to contain odors. The liquid (and often proprietary) oil and water in the trap apparently require flushing and replacement every several months.


Casa de los Amigos’ water use is an ongoing concern, and Friends there continue to seek even more water conservation.


Central Coast Meeting, San Luis Obispo

Central Coast Meeting received a mini-grant to build a shed for the Tenbrook Community Garden. Construction of the shed and also some transplanting were accomplished on a sunny Sunday as part of a work party that included local residents and the urban gardening organizations One Cool Earth and the Cal Poly Permaculture Club. The work was preceded by worship at a nearby park and followed by a potluck feast for all.

Central Coast Friends hope to build long-term relationships with Tenbrook gardeners.


Redding Meeting

The Redding Meeting received a mini-grant to buy a lemon, lime, and kiwi plants, as well as many seeds, all the Meeting’s ongoing support of the Sequoia School Community Garden that was started by attender Millie Milhous who taught at the school for many years. Teachers report that they use the garden to help teach a wide variety of subjects.




RepCom 2013 Minutes

Download version

Web version



2 March 2013       Santa Cruz Meetinghouse

PYM Representative Committee began at 9:00 am with worship.  Following worship, Presiding Clerk Steve Smith remarked that while he is a bit nervous about his role, he is also feeling privileged to serve PYM as Presiding Clerk.  He introduced the recording clerks, the assistant to the clerk and our host.

John deValcourt welcomed us on behalf of Santa Cruz Meeting and its coordinating committee, and gave logistical information for the day.

Steve suggested a theme from Robert Barkley:  “Being reached by the Life”.  Let us be touched to the heart.  Above all, let us be tender and speak the Truth in Love.  The clerk also asked us to examine and question our use of “twinkling” as an outward sign of agreement when we are engaged in corporate discernment on controversial issues.

Agenda Review: Steve reviewed the agenda. Additions were noted and are reflected in these minutes. He further noted that the length of the Annual Session may be addressed during the weekend.

Roll Call: (full report is soon to be attached)  A friend suggested that, in addition to meetings and worship groups, committees and their clerks might also be roll-called.  Stephen Myers (Sacramento) announced that Junior Yearly Meeting will be meeting separately this weekend.

Nominating Committee:  David Barrows, clerk, gave the report. The committee brought forward the following names for vacant positions, to be seasoned over the course of the session.

  • Walt Jones, Delta Meeting, for Ministry and Oversight Committee for a term ending 2014.
  • Brylie Oxley, Grass Valley, to serve on Junior Yearly Meeting Committee for a term ending 2015.
  • Roy Allen, Berkeley, to serve on the Finance Committee for a term ending in 2015.

It was noted with concern that an opening for Arrangements Clerk remains vacant, and there are also positions vacant on the Finance Committee. The apparent practice of alternating the PYM clerk between the northern and southern Quarters was questioned. This has been largely accidental; however, there has been some consideration for gender and location on the committee during past years.

Naming Committee: Three persons, plus an alternate, are needed for the Naming Committee. The following names were spoken out of the worship: Brendan Fagan, Reno (accepted). Sandy Kewman, Grass Valley (declined). Elizabeth Bills, La Jolla (to be contacted).  Alyssa Nelson, Davis (accepted). Alternate: Sue Scott, Inland Valley (to be contacted).

Treasurer’s Report:  Treasurer, Ed Flowers, reported on the General Account, income and expenses, loan availability, Youth Program Reserve, FGC Gathering scholarships, and Annual Session surplus.  Our goal is for 100% of the General Budget to be held in reserve.  We ask representatives to be sure that younger Friends know about the PYM assistance fund.  (Full report is attached)

Youth Program Coordinator Supervisory Committee: Jim Summers and Nathan Walker reported for the committee.  (Full report is attached.)

Other committee members present were introduced, as well as the PYM Youth Program Coordinator (YPC), Alyssa Nelson.

Based on consultation with focus groups, interviews and monthly meetings, the committee finds that there is unity among Pacific Yearly Meeting Friends that the program is successful, of great value, and should be continued. The value of the coordinator position was addressed, as well as the skills and talents of Alyssa Nelson, who currently serves in the position. Friends are guided to the submitted report for the full scope of the committee’s work.

The committee recommends to the PYM Representative Committee that the following minute be brought to the Annual Session of Pacific Yearly Meeting:

Pacific Yearly Meeting will continue to support the paid Youth Program Coordinator position.

The committee expects to submit proposed budgets to Finance Committee this year and subsequent years through the usual PYM budgeting process. As noted in the report, there are several financial issues that need to be addressed as PYM moves forward with the YPC position.

Alyssa Nelson, YPC, reported that a notebook is available at this session with the assembled responses from meeting reports, meeting visits and interviews as well reports on events, articles and other YPC documents. She announced that the Spring Youth Work Camp will be held at the end of this month in partnership with the Unity with Nature Committee and Quaker Oaks Farm in Visalia. Adult Ally/Friendly Adult Presence (FAP) workshops will take place on the first Saturday in April at Sacramento Meeting and the first Saturday in May at Santa Monica Meeting. In addition, the pre-PYM Annual Session immersion program (Shalom and Koinonia in past years) will take place this year to foster the formation of a deeply held Quaker community immediately prior to the Annual Session.  Interested Friends 18 and older are encouraged to participate in the planning.

The clerk invited concerns, questions and comments.

Clarification was given that we are being asked to recommend a simple minute of continuation of the YPC program to PYM; discussions regarding further implementation, committee functions, nominating processes, financial considerations and the time span of the position are needed in the larger body of the Annual Session. We are not evaluating the employee Alyssa Nelson, but the continuance of the YPC position in Pacific Yearly Meeting.

Friends spoke to the deep listening work of the committee and the blessing and importance of the position and the role of the Youth Program Coordinator in our Yearly Meeting. There was concern expressed for the support of young adults post high school and college, and the committee echoed this concern. The committee are working to extend efforts to support those Friends ages 25 – 35.

Additional concerns were raised regarding the financial burden upon our monthly meetings.  The YPC position does not address the stresses we place upon our clerk and officers, which could be alleviated through a paid executive secretary. The current YPC, Alyssa Nelson, noted that she performs some of these duties on behalf of the Yearly Meeting—a distraction from her primary functions. Ministry and Oversight holds concerns for the long-term health of Pacific Yearly Meeting, and friends are invited to express their concerns to those committee members, as well as those serving on the Experimentation and Implementation Sub-committee.

Representative Committee notes that there are several questions and issues that we need to address corporately at this year’s Annual Session. The Youth Program Coordinator and the YPC Supervisory Committee are asked to hold informational sessions for monthly meetings in early summer so that Friends can enter come to the Annual Session fully informed and prepared for the threshing needed.

ACTION MINUTE 2013.01: Representative Committee recommends to Pacific Yearly Meeting Annual Session that the paid Youth Program Coordinator position be continued.

Ministry and Oversight:  Barbara Babin, committee clerk, summarized the work of M&O, including Annual Session scholarship applications, worship and worship sharing sessions at AS, planning for a panel of speakers on the theme “Being Reached by the Life”, intergenerational activities, children’s program transitions, business sessions and seasoning of concerns.  Many Friends come to the AS mainly for fellowship and spiritual enrichment, and find that business sessions can be contentious.  M&O is exploring how much and what kind of business can be done by RepCom.  Sub-committees continue to work on support of Reps, individuals with leadings, the Visiting Friend program and distant meetings.  She named the M&O liaisons to other committees and explained the connection process – requests for support should reach M&O before their meeting on Memorial Day weekend.

Barbara spoke to the disposition of copies of Faith and Practice.  She also reported on an M&O study regarding the number of representatives to other organizations, and their responsibilities. At this time, M&O does not recommend any changes to the number of representatives and the level of their support by PYM.  Representatives to organizations should submit to the Web Coordinator a written annual report on their activities.   M&O has also held discussions and alerted meetings and committees related to new requirements for sexual misconduct insurance, including trainings and background checks.  Guide One, our insurer, and FGC provide some training materials.  (Full report is attached)

Per the request of M&O, the following minutes were considered and approved.

ACTION MINUTE 2013.02:  RepCom establishes an Ad Hoc Sexual Misconduct Prevention Committee consisting of the Youth Program Coordinator, the YPC administrative supervisor, and the clerks or designees of the JYM Adult Committee, the Children’s Program Committee, and Ministry and Oversight.  The purpose of this Ad Hoc Committee is to:

  • review the Yearly Meeting’s policies around sexual misconduct prevention as well as the documents and procedures used by JYM and the children’s program to ensure consistency;
  • discern which officer or committee of the Yearly Meeting should administer the background checks and determine what to do with the information and how to archive it; and
  • bring recommendations to Annual Session.

ACTION MINUTE 2013.03:  We authorize the Treasurer to purchase sexual misconduct insurance and the Ad hoc Committee to coordinate background checks starting with the FAPs and children’s program staff who will serve at the 2013 Annual Session.  Finance Committee will discern how this will be reflected in the budget.

Nominating Committee: David Barrows, clerk of Nominating Committee, brought forth for seasoning the name of Marilee Eusebio (Davis) as Arrangements Clerk, with a term ending in 2014.

Naming Committee (cont’d): Elizabeth Bills (La Jolla) accepted the nomination to Naming Committee. Sue Scott declined to serve as alternate. A convener must be named. Rhea Farley (Strawberry Creek), accepted the position of alternate. Alyssa Nelson was nominated as Convener and accepted.

Pacific Friends Outreach Society (PFOS): Liz Baker, clerk of the board of Pacific Friends Outreach Society, reported, giving history of the committee and its work.   After more than 19 years of work to develop a permanent site for the holding of the annual session of Pacific Yearly Meeting, they are not able to move forward.  The board will dissolve the 501c3 that now exists and following the dictates of the state law, gift any remaining funds to an organization chosen by the board.  The board suggests that these funds go to Pacific Yearly Meeting as the Bob Vogel Endowment, to be used as determined by the PYM Youth Program Coordinator Supervisory Committee or a successor committee, with the exception that it cannot be used for salary or wages.  They also expressed appreciation for the help and support of many Friends over the years. (Full report is attached)

PFOS, as a servant of PYM, wants to return to PYM the funds that remain.  The PFOS Board felt that support of youth programs would be the cleanest and least divisive way to return the funds.  The endowment would be for about $400,000 which would yield income each year to be distributed.  We cannot foresee all of the possible uses of these funds, but their availability will allow our vision to grow.

ACTION MINUTE 2013.04:  We ask Finance Committee to work with members of PFOS and the YPCSC to explore how we might accept and manage this gift.  We ask them to bring recommendations to the Annual Session.

ACTION MINUTE 2013.05:  Many Friends feel grief at the laying down of PFOS and the end of this effort.  We extend our thanks to members of PFOS for their faithful work over many years and their gracious offer of remaining funds to the Youth of PYM.  

Registrar:  Sarah Tyrrell and Joyce Samati, Registrars, gave the report. The 67th Annual Session will be held at Mount Madonna July 29, 2013 through August 3, 2013. There are some challenges for our group at this site. Any persons who have concerns about the site should contact Sarah, Joyce or Jim Avera (Arrangements Clerk), and should not contact Mt. Madonna directly. Registration materials and the Call to Session will be out by the end of March.

Joyce Samati gave a report (appended in full)

on behalf of the ad hoc committee charged with developing an explicit process for the selection and approval of a registration service for Annual Session. The committee recommends that PYM contract with the Berkeley Monthly Meeting registration team this year, at a cost of $3000.   This represents decrease of $2000 due to the greater ease introduced by the on-line registration process.

The ad hoc committee will meet again to consider the application, selection, and evaluation processes for the contract registration service. Once the process is set up and formalized, a standing committee will have to own this process.

ACTION MINUTE 2013.06: Representative Committee of PYM approves contracting with the Berkeley Meeting registration team for the 2013 AS for a payment of $3,000.

It is proposed that the application process for the contract registration team be announced at Annual Session and advertised among Meetings of PYM. Applications would need to be submitted to the PYM registrars by October of the same year; the registrars would make a recommendation by early December to the appropriate PYM committee, yet to be determined.  This will come before the Annual Session 2013 for discernment and possible approval.

The gathering gave heartfelt thanks to Don Bean for his work at making the on-line registration process for Pacific Yearly Meeting effective and easy to navigate.

Carl Anderson, Nominating Committee, encouraged Friends to read the Registrar’s job description, posted on the PYM website, which is in the process of being updated.

Finance Committee: Ed Flowers, Treasurer, reported and asked for two augmentations to the general budget.

ACTION MINUTE # 2013.07:  We approve an augmentation of $235 to the PYM Delegates, Western Friend Board, Expense Account (line 5271) bringing that line total to $1735.

ACTION MINUTE # 2013.08:  We approve an augmentation of $150 to the PYM Delegates, Evangelical Friends Church SW, Expense Account (line 5283) bringing total to $300.

The Treasurer asked,  “If you could charge the Annual Session expense to a credit card, would you pay a 3% surcharge and use that option?”  Many Friends present indicated that they would use this option.

Finance committee is exploring alternatives to banking with Wells Fargo, including Bank of the West.  Friends are invited to send their views about this possible change to the PYM Treasurer, Ed Flowers at flowers2@sonic.net.

Annual Session Proposed Budget and Proposed Fees were distributed:

ACTION MINUTE # 2013.09:  We approve the Annual Session Budget as proposed.

One option not included on the fee schedule at this time is for day attenders staying off site.  Finance Committee will determine the final schedule of fees in coordination with the Clerk and Registrar.  The lower levels of accommodations are subsidized by the more expensive levels.

Junior Yearly Meeting (JYM):  Stephen Myers, clerk of the adult committee of JYM, JYM adult committee members, and JYM clerks and members, gave the report. Members include Emma Castanedo, JYM co-clerk; Clare Griese, JYM co-clerk; Nathan Walker, clerk of JYM M&O; Hannah McKinney, JYM M&O; Anna Lichterman, JYM M&O; Brendan Fagan, JYM M&O; Shannon Fagan (Reno); Steve Leeds (San Francisco); and Bryan Runyan (unaffiliated). We were reminded that the wider PYM nominates the adult committee and the JYM body nominates their own slate of clerks and JYM Ministry and Oversight.

JYM has reviewed the evaluations from last year and discussed possible changes. The group came to unity in deciding to work closely with the Young Adult Friends and the Middle School group to help smooth the transition into and out of JYM. They worked on scheduling, a list of possible FAPs, activities for community building, and committee structures.

Arrangements:  Jim Avera, Arrangements Clerk for 2013,  reported.  Recent changes at Mt Madonna include a new high school building that we can use, the removal of some of the older cabins and additions of some new ones, and the addition of new categories of foods in consideration of allergies.  We are not allowed to bring any food onto the property.  Special needs should be addressed to the Arrangements Clerk.  More details are forthcoming as negotiations continue.  Part of the registration materials will include descriptions of the distances and inclines between areas of the site.

Discipline Committee:  Carolyn Stephenson, clerk of Discipline Committee, noted that the ad hoc committee formed at Representative Committee in 2012 to oversee the transition of the existing copies of Faith & Practice from the AFSC Los Angeles office has completed that task.

ACTION MINUTE 2013.10: We approve laying down the ad hoc committee formed by RepCom Minute 2012.9.

Children’s Program Committee: Terrill Keeler, clerk, named the members of the committee.  The position of Children’s Program Coordinator has been advertised and they hope to hire someone within the month.  They are in the process of reviewing a draft proposal for teacher and FAP scholarships.

Schedule for Annual Session (draft):  Steve Smith, Presiding Clerk, gave the report. He noted that there has been much appreciation expressed for the 2012 schedule and some of the innovations that were brought in for that session. However, schedule challenges at Mt. Madonna (especially fixed meal times) make it difficult to implement some of those this year. It is hoped that at Walker Creek Ranch in 2014 we can return to some of the scheduling innovations from 2012.

The draft schedule (appended)

was distributed and reviewed. Friends were encouraged to give feedback to Steve Smith and Pat Smith, Assistant to the Clerk.

Unity with Nature Committee: Muriel Strand, co-clerk, reported.  She described the Interest Groups in 2012 AS, a committee retreat and mini-grants for meeting projects.  The Unity with Nature proposals for 2013 AS include an Interest Group, a simple meal and an affinity group.  (Full report is attached)

Earthlight Bookstore:  Tom and Sandy Farley, bookstore managers, gave the report, which is appended to these minutes.

We were reminded that following the closure of the AFSC Bookstore, a minute at the 2012 RepCom authorized the Farleys to sell books at our annual sessions. Tom and Sandy have since made books available at Quaker and other gatherings. EarthLight, a non-profit corporation managed by a board of directors according to Quaker principles and practice, was created by the PYM Unity with Nature Committee to support spirit-led environmental witness and education. Its activities include publication and sale of print and recorded materials.

ACTION MINUTE 2013.11: Representative Committee approves using EarthLight as the bookstore provider at annual sessions. Appreciation is given to Tom and Sandy Farley for their continued efforts to bring books to our annual sessions.

The Farleys hope to hold an Interest Group on Meeting libraries at the Annual Session, and are looking for experienced Friends to help lead this IG. They also hope to renew their collaboration with the Unity with Nature Committee, and invite Friends to join them in serving on EarthLight’s board of directors.

Holding Corporation: Lanny Jay, President of the PYM Holding Corporation, reported.

There are three active requests for funds to purchase or improve meetinghouses.  There is $102,000 in the fund and the committee hopes to make decisions in the next few weeks.

Site Committee:  Lanny Jay, Site Committee Clerk, made the report.

He encouraged Friends to register early for the 2013 annual session and to specify their food needs clearly.

The 68th Annual Session of Pacific Yearly Meeting will be held at Walker Creek Ranch, July 14-19, 2014. There has been some discussion on the committee about making Walker Creek Ranch our permanent site. Nominating Committee has been asked to find a Site Committee clerk from the southern Quarter so that a balanced view on this matter can be brought to the discernment process.

Peter Neumann (Santa Barbara) read a minute approved by Santa Barbara Meeting that encourages PYM to make a multi-year commitment to a site for our Annual Sessions in order to encourage greater attendance. The clerk invited discussion on this issue, and several friends spoke to the history, benefits and challenges in establishing a long term relationship with a site for the Annual Sessions.

Nominating committee:  We approved the following:

ACTION MINUTE 2013.12: Representative Committee of Pacific Yearly Meeting approved the nominations of Walt Jones, Delta Meeting, to serve on Ministry and Oversight Committee for a term ending 2014; Brylie Oxley, Grass Valley, to serve on Junior Yearly Meeting Committee for a term ending 2015; Roy Allen, Berkeley, to serve on the Finance Committee for a term ending in 2015; and Marilee Eusebio (Davis) as Arrangements Clerk, with a term ending in 2014.

ACTION MINUTE 2013.13: Representative Committee of Pacific Yearly Meeting approved the nominations of the following persons to serve on the Naming Committee for one year terms: Brendan Fagan, Reno; Elizabeth Bills, La Jolla; Alyssa Nelson, Davis (convener); Alternate: Rhea Farley (Strawberry Creek).

M&O Sub-committee on Representative Support: Sandy Kewman, clerk, reported.  She named the other members of the sub-committee; Tom Yamaguchi (Strawberry Creek), Don Bean (Conejo Valley WG), and Carol Mosher (Berkeley).   Information is flowing from the sub-committee to reps and reps are urged to be familiar with the PYM website, contact the committee with questions and rep changes, and know how to encourage participation in the Annual Session.   Registration will be available on-line April 1st.  Observers should be included in these communications.  (Full report is attached)

A Friend pointed out that the job descriptions of PYM Reps are determined by the Meetings they represent, rather than by PYM.   Yet PYM pays the travel expenses of the Reps and has expectations of the work they do in support of the Yearly Meeting.  Recommendations from the M&O Subcommittee on Experimentation and Implementation regarding this and other concerns are being investigated and explored.   There may be changes in expectations for Reps as the business tasks assigned to RepCom increase or change.   Reps may be called upon to discern the spirit of their home Meetings, and convey sometimes subtle matters to RepCom and PYM, while staying open to the Light revealed there.

The preceding minutes and record were read and approved with appreciation.

Friends expressed appreciation for the hosting by Santa Cruz Meeting and the meals provided.

Following closing worship, RepCom 2013 ended at 8:20pm



2013 Annual Session Registration Fees

Download version

Web version

2013 Annual Session Registration Fees

Commuter attendance

Includes all meals, starting with breakfast each day of attendance, except Monday (supper only) and Saturday (brunch only) – price for Mon and Sat tbd.

Overnight attendance, includes Camping option

Includes all meals, starting with supper on arrival day, ending with breakfast or brunch on departure day. Partial week option (days must be consecutive, some accommodations are not available at daily rates)

Code Type Age Per Week Per Day
1a 0-5



1b 6-12



1c 13-25



1d 26+



2a 0-5



2b 6-12



2c 13-25



2d 26+



Floor space – floor mats in large rooms. No bedding or towels.
3a 0-5



3b 6-12



3c 13-25



3d 26+



3j JYM floor



3y YAF 25 or less – floor space



3z YAF 26 or greater – floor space



Dormitory – 4 to 7 persons per room. Bedding provided but no towels.
4a 0-5



4b 6-12



4c 13-25



4d 26+



Double/Triple – shared bath. Sheets, pillows, and blankets provided but no towels.
5a 0-5 and 2 paying persons in room



(Use 5b if less than 2 paying persons in room?)
5b 6-12



5c 13-25



5d 26+



Single – shared bath. Sheets, pillows, and blankets provided but no towels.
6 Any age



Double/Triple– private bath. Linens provided.
7a 0-5 and 2 paying persons in room



(Use 7b if less than 2 paying persons in room?)
7b 6-12



7c 13-25



7d 26+



Notes: Singles, doubles and triples must have at least one paying adult in the room. Adult with only 0-5 in room charged as single adult.

Assume that 0-5 year olds are on floor or in family provided crib or bed.

JYM and YAF floor rates are same as other floor rates, but allow space assignment.