New Document and Renewed Request for Further Seasoning on FGC Affiliation

To Meeting Representatives and Clerks of Monthly Meetings

Ministry and Oversight Committee renews its request, sent last March, for monthly meetings to further season the matter of FGC affiliation between now and June 30, 2019.

The purpose of this message now is to alert you to a new document, 2019 FGC Talking Points, containing information that may be useful to your monthly meeting as we continue to labor with the question of FGC affiliation.  These talking points were shared with members and observers at the recent FGC Central Committee meeting, and are posted here with permission of FGC. Continue reading “New Document and Renewed Request for Further Seasoning on FGC Affiliation”

Community expectations for PYM Annual Session 2018

Our Annual Session is a gathering of the Beloved Community where Friends labor and rejoice together in discerning the will of Spirit. For us to go deep into worship and community, we must create a safe and healthy container. Please use these reminders to make Annual Session a joyful occasion for all.

We ask that all Friends uphold the following expectations:

Continue reading “Community expectations for PYM Annual Session 2018”

FGC Affiliation Consideration Updates, April 19, 2018

Friends,

In early February, a link to materials about affiliating with Friends General Conference was circulated: FAQ link on FGC Affiliation, February 2018

Monthly meetings were asked by Ministry and Oversight Committee (M&O) to review this information and reflect on the following queries in preparation for continued discernment at the 2018 Annual Session:

Continue reading “FGC Affiliation Consideration Updates, April 19, 2018”

Additional Information about FGC Affiliation and a Request for Monthly Meetings to Season

Update posted 4/19/18 at new link (click here).

Original post below:


2/1/18 – To Meeting Representatives and Clerks of Monthly Meetings,

At Pacific Yearly Meeting Annual Session in 2017, Ministry and Oversight Committee (M&O) brought forward for discernment the question of Pacific Yearly Meeting’s affiliation with Friends General Conference.  During the consideration of this question at the 2017 Annual Session, some Friends asked for additional information and time for seasoning at the monthly meeting level.  Ministry and Oversight Committee has prepared materials to aid in our continued discernment at the 2018 Annual Session.

In order to be well prepared for discernment, M&O is now asking monthly meetings to season the matter of affiliating between now and April 30, 2018 by reflecting on these queries:

Continue reading “Additional Information about FGC Affiliation and a Request for Monthly Meetings to Season”

2016 State of the Society Report

Pacific Yearly Meeting

State of the Society Report

June 20/21, 2016

¢   “As we reflect on the state of our meeting in 2016, we ask ourselves, Where’s the enthusiasm?  Where’s the juice?” Strawberry Creek MM

¢   Twenty-one Meetings and three worship groups sent in State of the Meeting reports, trying to distill the “juice” and the challenges of their communities. From these, we find general themes and specific examples which make up this State of the Society Report.

¢   Meeting Community – Chico Friends Meeting speaks of what it is to be a community:

“Tender, generous, and often very human, we are a small but steadfast people wrestling with what it means to be Quaker.  With faith that the power and the mystery of Spirit is in it, we continue to, each in our own way, show up, and when we do, we experience life of the Spirit abundantly.”

“This year we celebrated our 50th Anniversary as a monthly meeting.” Grass Valley MM

“Our Meeting has enjoyed a time of spiritual stability in which the attendance at Meeting for Worship has grown… We want to strengthen our spiritual relationships with both long-time attenders and those who have arrived more recently.”  Mexico City MM

“After three quarters of an hour or so, we are joined in silence by the children of the meeting and their teachers.  The shine in their eyes promises a lively sharing at the rise of meeting.” Inland Valley MM

“In January we hosted PYM’s Ministry and Oversight Committee, and our discussions with the committee emphasized the importance of our Quaker ties. We benefit from members of our meeting who are active in PYM and SCQM, experiencing the richness of the larger Quaker community.” Orange County MM

¢   Meeting Space – the space we use or own creates both opportunity and challenge.

“We continue to be struck by the new openness of our Meetinghouse, symbolizing to both us and the broader community the welcome we seek to provide.”  Berkeley Friends Meeting

“We approved a Minute and updated our outdoor sign which now reads: Davis Friends Meeting (Quaker), an open, welcoming, and affirming Meeting.”  Davis MM

“For now, we have suspended the search [for a meetinghouse to purchase]. This has been very painful, especially for those who have worked so hard and for so long…Without a meetinghouse we are not very visible to our local community. Yet we have a welcome stream of visitors who know to look for us.”  Strawberry Creek MM

“Some Friends have voiced concern over the Meeting owning properties as the many issues it brings may be getting in the way of Spirit rather than leading us toward it.”  San Francisco MM

¢   Outreach/Work in the CommunityAs in many years past, the quality, substance and sheer diversity of community outreach and social action is remarkable, including response to the California drought with drought-resistant meeting grounds.

“We are especially happy to continue sponsorship of the student Peace Essay Contest in the Stanislaus County Schools. We are ever heartened by the growth in participation and the depth of commitment and passion of young people. Delta MM

“We continue to express our social concerns through ongoing activities such as providing a meal and music to homeless women once a month, and supporting those who are taking Alternatives to Violence into the community and local prisons.  Live Oak MM

“We help with the monthly Rice Plus Project that packs and distributes rice, beans and other necessities to farm families in the Salinas Valley and North Monterey County.”  Monterrey Peninsula MM

“Our presence is noted in public events, including demonstrations in support of climate action, the Black Lives Matter movement, and immigration concerns. Two of our members attended the UN Conference on Climate Change (COP) 21 in Paris, one as General Secretary for Quaker Earthcare Witness.”  Strawberry Creek MM

“We support the Dougla-Prieta project in Arizona and Mexico, the undocumented student scholarship fund, African student scholarship funds, the East Bay Sanctuary movement, Prisoners packages work, Citizens Climate Lobby and the Interfaith Jewish Voices for Peace.”  Sacramento MM

“In response to immigration and refugee crises, members of our meeting have taken in 3 immigrant families and a new committee was formed to offer financial advocacy and support.”  La Jolla MM

“When one of our long standing members passed away, his estate was bequeathed to us. We set aside part as an Endowment, a portion was used to complete our new meeting home the rest funded Grants totaling $174,000.” San Diego MM

“Acknowledging the many efforts of individual Friends in the world, nominations to our Peace and Social Order Committee were suspended pending clarification of this committee’s relationship to the concerns of Friends. Consideration of this action is ongoing.” La Jolla MM

¢ Good Order requires us to examine not just what we do, but how and why.

“…the Clerk discerned three desirable efforts for the community:   To continue the sharing and examination process that has invigorated Meeting for Business; to structure our community so that we are better able to welcome newcomers; and to be more transparent and efficient.  We feel both the pressure of uncertain plans for the next year, yet also joy in our new direction.”  Palo Alto MM

“Our meeting has grappled with differences of opinions and with individual life challenges, through the vehicle of clearness committees. This is a profound process that helps to center us in love when facing challenges. Santa Barbara MM

“Getting enough money to meet our budget continues to be a challenge, and we are also challenged by the search for members and attenders to take on a position or serve on a committee, or to help carry out a program.  Yet we are committed and care and know there is a way through this if we are willing to be open, patient to wait for this response, and ready to act on it when it comes.”  Grass Valley MM

“Quaker history shows us that it is often through struggle that we receive our spiritual gifts. We struggle with how people react to what others say and with achieving a common understanding of committee work versus meeting work and how to make decisions.”  Chico Friends Meeting

¢ Rhythms Of LifeWhile the familiar problem of aging seems to be consistent throughout, there is a sense of renewal and vibrancy, with a number of meetings and worship groups growing and delighting in newcomers, new members and new families. And it’s clear the work of Bob and Kathy Runyon and Quaker Center has positively impacted and helped nourish many meetings through our Yearly Meeting.

“Many of us are using our Meeting’s Ben Lomond Quaker Center [annual] pass which helps our Meeting grow spiritually.” Sacramento MM

“Marloma Long Beach Meeting consists of six senior citizens of increasing age and diminishing energy. Once a very active meeting, we no longer do social service projects as a Meeting, although individuals take part in a variety of activities. What of our spiritual development? One member described our Meeting as “a place where we go to regenerate our spiritual batteries once a week.” Marloma Long Beach MM

[We held] a meeting-wide retreat, “From Strength to Strength: Visions for the Future of the Claremont Monthly Meeting.” Out of the retreat emerged a sense that we might do well to embrace, rather than lament, our smallness: genuinely prophetic communities are perhaps likely to be small.”  Claremont MM

“…because there are fewer of us, many standing Meeting committees are small and we rely on individuals to do work that was once done by committee. The answer may lie in simplifying our process and letting go of traditions which no longer serve us.” Orange Grove MM

“Though our spirit remains strong, we are less able to summon physical ability to accomplish all we wish to do.  At the same time, Friends are learning to accept the limits of aging, and are searching for new and creative ways to be of service.”  Delta MM

“The Query “How is truth served in our Meeting?” also applies to recognizing our own limitations. Some in our Meeting have learned this through disabilities or illnesses. For others it is a matter of following new leadings and finding new ways to be of service. Davis MM

” …older, more seasoned Friends, and Friends ways, [are] giving over to inspired, service-oriented outreach. Meeting community inreach is giving way to larger engagement in service to others in the greater community outside our doors.” San Francisco MM

“We have felt a flowing energy from the Divine to welcome new visitors, attenders and members of our community, floating in and out, a life of constant change. We happily welcome four new members this year. We are thankful for the vitality and energy felt by many in our community.” Santa Monica MM

“The Worship Group at Soledad State Prison (CTF) remains under our care.  Currently there are 7 to 8 Live Oak Friends who’ve worshipped and participated in worship sharing discussions, with 7 to 10 inmates, twice monthly.  Live Oak MM

“We are continuing to grow as a spiritual community in faith and in numbers.” Conejo Valley WG

“The small size of our worship group continues to be a challenge and a blessing. We don’t have the problems, nor do we have the possibilities.” Ojai WG

“We are a small group, but we have shown concern on peace and social justice issues at a time when the world if full of violence and grave injustices. We are thankful for our time together.” Whitleaf WG

¢ Summary – Many meetings speak of their challenges, but also their sense of joy and renewal together.

“Of the little miracles in life, one of those is how we have come together to form a larger community. We have made a family together, a safe place to grow our relationships. An adult who grew up within our Meeting said he remembered Meeting fondly as “a place where he was loved.” Orange County MM

“Chico Friends Meeting life is not smooth, but it is full of joy and of meaningful relationships with each other, the wider world, and the Spirit of God.  Chico Friends Meeting

“When Spirit moves in Meeting, it is amazing and glorious, a gift from God. It is in those moments we feel how easy it is to become as God wishes us to be. We trust that Spirit will guide us forward.” Orange Grove MM

“Reflecting on this year, we find strength in the richness of our memories, strength in the power of our hopes. Above all, we seek strength in our togetherness.” Claremont MM

“We…seek to remain open to the will of the spirit and affirm that all creation has worth and dignity.” La Jolla MM

“We recognize the need to remember that we are a living tradition. The world and the Meeting are always changing. We seek the guidance of Spirit in knowing our truth and moving ahead in response to change. We strive to treat each other tenderly and, as we seek the truth and act upon it, we work to touch that of God in each of us.”  Strawberry Creek MM

¢ We close our State of the Society Report with a quote from Grass Valley MM:

“ …our practice is gathering together in silence, to be available, to be open, to be willing to share when the spirit prods or encourages us, to be patient, to be open and inclusive of others’ viewpoints, and to experience this process as our act of worship, our way of being in the world.”

 

Submitted by the Ministry and Oversight Committee of PYM

M&O Request For Input For PYM Annual Session 2014

Dear Monthly Meeting Clerks and PYM Reps:

There is considerable energy and discussion among PYM Friends about what makes wider Quaker gatherings deepening and nourishing as well as the challenges that arise as Friends contemplate distance, schedules, and costs of attendance.  As Friends are brainstorming and generating ideas which might be useful for our Yearly Meeting to consider for our future sessions, we want to hear from our Monthly Meetings.  Please set aside some time at your June or July business meeting to give the following queries some thought.  We are especially interested in hearing from Friends (whether members or attenders) who do NOT tend to go to Quarterly or Yearly Meeting, to find out what would draw them in and what is currently getting in their way from attending.  It will be important to hear from as wide a group as possible, so we urge you to make time for this discussion and to send us your notes in whatever form they take.  We are not expecting your Meeting to come to unity at this stage, rather we are initiating the dialogue.

  1. What do you look forward to (or would you look forward to) when you attend wider Quaker gatherings?
  2. What have you experienced in a wider Quaker gathering that has inspired you or moved you to a deeper sense of Spirit working in your life?
  3. What prevents you from attending wider Quaker gatherings, in particular PYM’s Annual Session?  Could changes in format, schedule, cost, etc. make it possible for you to attend?

Continue reading “M&O Request For Input For PYM Annual Session 2014”

2013 Annual Session Ministry and Oversight Committee

[Download versions]

[Web versions (excluding SotM reports – they are only available as PDF linked to above)]

 Pacific Yearly Meeting

Ministry and Oversight Committee

June, 2013

Ministry and Oversight Committee has labored during this past year with a concern for our Annual Sessions and how they serve our Yearly Meeting as a whole.  Friends have indicated that they attend Annual Session for three primary reasons: to deepen their spiritual lives, to engage in fellowship with a wider body of Friends, and to engage in the spirit-led search for unity.

 Two interrelated issues continue to be raised up—those of privilege and fair representation.  As the cost of attending Annual Session increases, it becomes more difficult for those of lesser financial means to attend and becomes more difficult for monthly meetings to support financial assistance for their members.  Consequently, we are seeing lower overall attendance as well as a less diverse attendance, including reduced attendance from some of our smaller monthly meetings.  This is troubling to us as many of our Yearly Meeting’s major decisions are made during Annual Session.  How do we reconcile our testimony of equality with the fact that our Annual Sessions are becoming more and more privileged?

As we have worked together and with our subcommittees over the past year to support the spiritual life of our Yearly Meeting, our work falls into three main categories:  outreach and support to monthly meetings, support to the Yearly Meeting infrastructure, and preparing for the Annual Session.

Outreach and Support

The outreach to our monthly meetings includes improving communication between the Yearly Meeting and the monthly meetings and reaching out to our more outlying and distant meetings.  The Representative Support Subcommittee continues to hold phone calls with monthly meeting representatives to disseminate PYM news and to encourage monthly meetings to make their concerns known to the Yearly Meeting.  The Support for Distant Meetings Subcommittee has visited Guatemala and Mexico City this past year and is making plans to visit Honolulu and Big Island in 2014.  A Visiting Friend Support Subcommittee has been formed and now has enough members to function effectively.  They hope to bring an announcement to Annual Session informing us when that program will begin, how Friends can apply to be the Visiting Friend, and how monthly meetings can get on the schedule.  The Ministry and Leadings Subcommittee has explored how to assist monthly meetings in identifying, supporting, and providing accountability for Friends’ leadings.

Infrastructure

Through the work of the Experimentation and Implementation Subcommittee (and the former Futures Committee) we have recognized that the Yearly Meeting includes both the Annual Session and the workings of the organization year-round.  We are committed to supporting both aspects of our Yearly Meeting.  The Experimentation and Implementation Subcommittee brought us schedule changes in 2012 which were very positively received, but are not possible to maintain at the site where we will meet in 2013.  We hope to bring back these schedule changes in 2014, along with some modifications that we learned as a result of that experiment.  One thing that we are able to maintain is the concept of introducing an item of business early in the week, allowing time for seasoning, and taking up the decision at a later plenary session.

We continue to receive suggestions for ways of scheduling our Annual Sessions and undertaking our business that would involve less expense, less travel, and more opportunity for building community, but none of the ideas brought forward so far seem fully workable.  We expect to keep listening, both at the Annual Session and afterward, and are looking forward to conducting a survey of PYM members and attenders in the fall, including those who do not attend the Annual Session.

The Electronic Communications Subcommittee is a hidden strength of our Yearly Meeting.  Working behind the scenes, they maintain our Yearly Meeting website, giving us access to prior Yearly Meeting and Representative Committee minutes as well as current committee reports so that we can participate in our Yearly Meeting in a more informed manner.  This year, we are putting the State of the Meeting reports on the Pacific Yearly Meeting website, and you will find them in two batches: Southern California Quarterly Meeting and College Park Quarterly Meeting.  In addition the subcommittee has been of assistance to the registrars in supporting the online registration.

The Annual Session

We have been preparing for the Ministry and Oversight Plenary where you will hear excerpts from the State of the Meeting reports, listen to some brief statements from a few Friends describing how they are being “reached by the life”, and where you will have the opportunity to respond out of the silence.  Worship-sharing groups and the Meeting for Memorials are being organized.  Several interest groups are being sponsored by Ministry and Oversight and its subcommittees:

  • Electronic Communication Subcommittee:  PYM in the Cloud—What it is and why we need it.
  • Racial Justice Subcommittee:  When we work together:  Allies across racial lines
  • Ministry and Oversight, Steve Smith: Finding our Center, Changing the World
  • Ministry and Leadings Subcommittee:  What is the Meeting’s role in naming, nurturing, supporting and providing accountability for Ministry and Leadings?

Submitted on behalf of the Ministry and Oversight Committee,

Barbara Babin, clerk

 

Ministry and Oversight Subcommittees 2012-13
 
Electronic Communication Subcommittee
Don Bean, Conejo Valley, convener
Eric Moon, Berkeley
Tom Yamaguchi, Strawberry Creek
Kerwin Flowers, La Jolla
Brylie Oxley, Grass Valley
 
Experimentation and Implementation Subcommittee
Paul Harris, Redwood Forest, convener
Valerie Nuttman, Santa Cruz
Sherri Sisson, Orange County
Marilee Eusebio, Davis
 
Ministry and Leadings Subcommittee
Sue Torrey, Central Coast, convener
Laura Magnani, Berkeley
Judith Favor, Claremont
Elaine Emily, Strawberry Creek
 
Outreach to Wider Circle of Friends* Subcommittee
Rolene Walker, San Francisco
Claire Gorfinkel, Orange Grove
  
Racial Justice Subcommittee
Laura Magnani, Co‐clerk, Berkeley
Diego Navarro, Co‐clerk, Santa Cruz
Charla Robertson, Co‐clerk, Orange Grove
Alvaro Alvarado, Sacramento
John Cantu, Santa Cruz
Cayman Howard, Visalia
Heather Howard, Visalia
Deborah Marks, Strawberry Creek
Carl Magruder, Strawberry Creek
Steve Smith, Claremont
Jim Summers, La Jolla
 
Representative Support Subcommittee
Sandy Kewman, Grass Valley, convener
Don Bean, Conejo Valley
Tom Yamaguchi, Strawberry Creek
 
Visiting Friend Subcommittee
Eric Moon, Berkeley
Eva Miller, Inland Valley/Orange Grove
Pati Constantino, Mexico City
Martha Hunkins, Humboldt

2013 RepCom Ministry & Oversight Report

Download

Web Version

Ministry and Oversight Committee Report

Representative Committee, March 2013

Ministry and Oversight Committee has assisted the Presiding Clerk in preparing for the 2013 Annual Session by seasoning the theme of Being Reached by the Life and reflecting on how we might refine the schedule.  Some of the ideas will remain on hold until 2014 when we return to Walker Creek and can work around a more flexible meal schedule.

For the Ministry and Oversight plenary of the Annual Session, we plan to invite a panel from within Pacific Yearly Meeting to speak to how they are Being Reached by the Life.  We anticipate an interesting variety of experience.

We will ask our Worship-Sharing subcommittee to write queries based in the theme, and the presentation of the State of the Meeting Reports will focus on how our meetings are Being Reached by the Life.

Ministry and Oversight Subcommittees

The Experimentation and Implementation Subcommittee has met several times by conference call, beginning with a review of the 2012 evaluations.  Overwhelmingly the evaluations for the 2012 Annual Session supported the innovations introduced, with the exception of some logistical issues that will be resolved.  Some of these issues have to do with allowing adequate passing time between events, and making sure that Children’s Program staff have a reasonable schedule.  Although the concept of introducing business early in the week and coming back to it later in the week received wide support, we also received suggestions that more time to discuss and season business within plenary sessions would be appreciated—it was noted that some 2012 plenaries felt rushed and incomplete.

Since many people in their evaluations expressed interest in more fellowship and spiritual growth at the Annual Session, the Experimentation and Implementation Subcommittee is working on ideas for moving some of the business of the Annual Session to Representative Committee so that the Annual Session could be focused more on fellowship and spiritual growth.   Ministry and Oversight has no specific recommendations at this time…more seasoning is needed

The Experimentation and Implementation subcommittee feels that it has completed its initial work related to the re-structuring of the Annual Session and  will turn its focus to the overall structure of the Yearly Meeting (beyond the Annual Session).

The Representative Support  Subcommittee is active and have had conference calls and individual phone calls with Monthly Meeting representatives since annual session. They will be holding a session with representatives at the Representative Committee Session to review the representative job description and discuss how to improve the two-way flow between the monthly meetings and the yearly meeting.

Ministry and Leadings Subcommittee met in October to review their support for Friends with leadings and to clarify the committee’s role in terms of long-term accountability.  They are clear that local (rather than yearly meeting) support is desirable as it is very difficult for Friends around the state to find common meeting times and to meet face-to-face.  They are working on the part of their job description that involves: “sponsoring interest groups and other adult education opportunities related to ministry and leadings”, and have requested an interest group at the 2013 Annual Session, on the topic of  “Naming, Nurturing, Supporting and Providing Accountability for Ministry and Leadings”

In addition they hope to bring workshops to monthly meetings on the theme: “What is the Meeting’s Role in Naming, Nurturing, Supporting and Providing Accountability for Ministry and Leadings”.

The Visiting Friend Support Subcommittee consists of Eric Moon, Martha Hunkins and Eva Miller.   The Ministry and Oversight Liaison to this subcommittee, Bobbi Kendig, is also contacting one other Friend to see if she is able to serve.  The committee is preparing a call for applications which will soon be sent to the monthly meetings through their representatives.

The Support for Distant Meetings Subcommittee formulated a letter to send out to monthly meetings.  The committee has plans to look into the status of Guatemala Monthly Meeting, when Bronwen Hillman and Rolene Walker visit there in April.

Interest Groups

The Ministry and Oversight Committee has requested an interest group time at Annual Session.  In addition, interest group sessions have been requested by the Electronic Communication Subcommittee, the Ministry and Leadings Subcommittee, and the Racial Justice Subcommittee.  These requests have been submitted to the Assistant to the Clerk.

M&O Liaisons to Yearly Meeting Committees:

Children’s Committee—Sarah Rose House Lightner, SM/OG

JYM—Bobbi Kendig, ML

Young Adult Friends—Linda Rowell, CH

Youth Program Support Committee—Barbara Babin, RF

Discipline Committee—Joe Magruder, BE

FOLLOW UP ITEMS:

2012 Minute 2012.9  (moving copies of Faith and Practice from AFSC office)

The clerk of Discipline Committee and clerk of Ministry and Oversight were charged with finding a new home for the Faith and Practices which were stored at AFSC’s Los Angeles Office.  The clerk of Discipline Committee has managed a division of those Faith and Practices between Southern California Quarterly Meeting and the AFSC offices in San Francisco.

The clerk of Ministry and Oversight has been given custody of 152 copies of Fe y Práctica and 48 of Consejos y Preguntas.  Ministry and Oversight Committee will develop a plan to make these copies available at little or no charge. We have received requests from individuals in South/Central America for materials and we are looking at resources for mailing copies to them, possibly with/through FWCC.

2011 Request from RepCom regarding representatives to Quaker organizations

As part of the Treasurer’s report at the 2011 Representative Committee, the minutes reflect a discussion of the PYM policy to fund travel expenses for representatives to Quaker organizations.  “There were strong feelings expressed that costs be cut because the new assessment is difficult for some meetings and are cutting into local programs. One way to cut travel expenses is to lower the number of reps named to various organizations this will be considered. The Futures Subcommittee of Ministry and Oversight Committee and the M&O Committee are involved in this process. The recommendations from these committees will be brought to the Annual Session.”

In 2012, Barbara Babin and Robin Durant surveyed the conveners of nearly all of our representatives, asking questions such as: how the organization communicates with them and how often; how many representatives actually attend the face-to-face meetings and what tasks are they asked to do; how does their participation benefit the organization, the representatives, and PYM.

We also contacted some of the organizations with similar questions.  We found out that the representatives are active with the organizations, that their involvement is useful to the organizations, and the representatives are contributing and growing in their personal knowledge and abilities.  Their actions benefit the Yearly Meeting as they act on our behalf.  The numbers of representatives that we send to AFSC, FCNL, and FWCC are in line with the numbers from other Yearly Meetings.

Based on these findings, Ministry and Oversight does not recommend lowering the number of representatives to any of the organizations.  However we do recommend that the representatives be asked to make a written report and be given the opportunity to present information in appropriate venues at the Annual Session (ex.  Plenary, interest group, lunch table).

NEW ITEM:

Sexual Misconduct

Last April our PYM treasurer submitted an application to the yearly meeting’s insurer, Guide One, for sexual misconduct insurance, which used to be covered under our liability insurance and now must be covered by a separate policy. The application was denied because, although we do have guidelines in place to ensure the safety of our attendees, we do not conduct background checks for volunteers and employees working with children and youth.

We held a session to discuss this at the 2012 Annual Session, including members of Ministry and Oversight, the JYM adult committee, and members of the finance committee.  We also invited Laura Magnani to speak to us, as AFSC has a great deal of experience with background checks, and we had talked with Quaker Center staff.  We learned that JYM has a lot of screening and training procedures in place.

At the end of January a conference call was held with the Youth Program Coordinator, the Youth Program Coordinator supervisor, and clerks of the JYM Adult Committee, the Children’s Program Committee, and Ministry and Oversight.  At that time we learned that the children’s program also has a lot of procedures in place.  Both the children’s program and JYM could  meet timelines for getting background checks on employees and volunteers in time for Annual Session.  We learned that Quaker Center does background checks for the summer camp employees and we found out that the background check does not include fingerprinting.  Participants in this phone call stressed that careful screening, education, and good training would be far more effective than background checks in preventing sexual misconduct, however insurance coverage would give the Yearly Meeting access to legal representation in case of an incident that led to litigation.  The group recommended the insurance for PYM.

Guide One has referred us to a resource called “Safe Church” that has excellent information on how to set up policies and procedures to prevent sexual misconduct, and they work with an agency that does background checks ranging from $8-$30 per person.

Recognizing that background checks are not especially useful in preventing sexual misconduct, Ministry and Oversight is in agreement that getting insurance coverage is advisable, and supports getting the background checks as a condition of the insurance.

However, we are left with a number of tasks to complete as we move through this process: our policies around sexual misconduct should be reviewed and possibly revised, our application forms for FAP and children’s program positions should be reviewed and may need to be revised, and we need to find a way to administer the background check process, discern how to handle the information we get back, and decide what to archive and how.

Ministry and Oversight submits two  requests to Representative Committee and will likely submit another to the Annual Session:

  • Formation of an ad-hoc committee consisting of the  Youth Program Coordinator, the Youth Program Coordinator supervisor, and clerks of the JYM Adult Committee, the Children’s Program Committee, and Ministry and Oversight.  The purpose of this ad-hoc committee would be to:
    • review the Yearly Meeting’s policies around sexual misconduct as well as the documents and procedures used by JYM and the children’s program to ensure consistency;
    • discern which officer or committee of the Yearly Meeting should administer the background checks, and determine what to do with the information and how to archive it; and
    • bring recommendations to Annual Session.
  • An augmentation to the 2012-13 budget in the amount of $900 to cover background checks for the FAPs and children’s program staff that will serve at the 2013 Annual Session.
  • An augmentation to the 2012-13 budget will be requested at the 2013 Annual Session to cover the premium for sexual misconduct insurance. At this time, the insurance company has not responded with a quote.

 

 

 

Proposed Registrars Job Description 2013

Download

Web Version

DRAFT

REGISTRARS

Preface

This job description is for the Registrars, nominated by Nominating Committee, but also describes the work of the Contract Registration Service.  Prior to 2008, Pacific Yearly Meeting simply had all-volunteer Registrars, but that was found to be unworkable.  Two Registrars with overlapping 2-year terms.

General Comments for Reviewers

This draft is a proposed rewrite, attempting to describe what actually happens.  Some points need clarification, and revisions are expected.  Neither Nominating Cmte nor any other body has united with it as of current writing.  The job description of 2009 is a major source, but that version had only limited reference to a Contracted Service.  Covers Contract Registration Service in some detail because Nominating Committee can’t ask people to be Registrars unless they know what they do and don’t have to do.  Name “Contract Registration Service” is the best I could find.  Perhaps Friends can provide a better name. As to the word “Contract”: Even if there is no written contract, there is a verbal contract, and people need to understand the difference between the Registrars (volunteers found by Nominating) and the Contract Registration Service (found by the Registrars).  – Carl Anderson 2/21/13

Time Expectations:

This position takes significant time.

Tasks for Registrars and Contract Registration Service, With Times:

By mutual consent, assignment of tasks may be modified.  In case a Contract Registration Service is not used, most of the tasks below would remain, and the Registrars would do them.

Comment  on Formatting

Most job descriptions don’t have tables, so the formatting of this particular job description differs somewhat from the others.  However,  most job descriptions don’t have to compare tasks between different sorts of positions.  Format may be modified somewhat, but a table is probably best.  – Carl

Registrars

Contract Registration Service

prior to Representative Committee (typically late February or early March)  
Attend meeting to develop and set fees for annual session. Meeting should also include Arrangements Clerks, Presiding Clerk, Treasurer , Clerk of Finance Committee, Statistical Clerk, and others as needed.  
Select, hire, and supervise Contract Registration Service, in consultation with the ad hoc committee that sets fees.
Present fee schedule to Representative Committee.  (Question: Is this done by Registrars, or by Finance Cmte?)
between RepCom and yearly meeting  
Assist development of registration materials.  Gather materials from Arrangements Clerks, Assistant to the Clerk, etc., and send to Contract Registration Service. Develop registration materials.  For details, see Appendix.
(Question:  Who notifies Western Friend, etc.?) Distribute registration materials
Set up and maintain website for registration.  Some attenders will use it; others will use paper.
Receive registration materials.  Send confirmations of registration.
Collect payments.  As directed by PYM Treasurer, deposit funds in bank and report.
Consolidate information on days of attendance, housing and meal preferences, etc.  Provide to site and to Finance.
Consolidate information on special needs, workshop & fellowship group interests, etc. & make available to PYM committees etc.
Assist Contract Registration Service in assignment of sleeping quarters Assign sleeping quarters (rooms, campsites if allowed on site, etc.)
Recruit volunteers to assist with check-in Create name tags and meal tickets
at yearly meeting
Check people in at some particular times when the Contract Registration Service isn’t doing that job.   Optionally, may assist CRS during busy periods. Check people in.  Set up table, distribute name tags, meal tickets, etc.  Adjust for any changes since receiving registration form (e.g, dates attending).  Collect money due. For minors, gather permission slips etc. and forward.   Check-in will be open at particular times, to be arranged.  At some times, especially the busy periods, Contract Registration Service will take lead; at other times, volunteer Registrars may do this task.
Prepare list of Yearly Meeting attenders – distribute at end of session
Be ombudspersons.  Receive and respond to problems and concerns. Provide updated info to PYM committees: children’s program, JYM, special needs, etc.
Coordinate with site staff Assist coordination with site staff.  Provide updated meal counts to site staff, Registrars, etc.
after yearly meeting
Participate in evaluation session Collect payments still due (Question: does CRS do this? If not, who?)
Authorize Treasurer to make refunds to persons who have overpaid Report to Registrars on persons who have overpaid
Participate in settling of accounts with site Provide information to Registrars for settling of accounts with site

APPENDIX: Checklist of Items for Registration Materials

Adapt as needed.  For some of these items, it may suffice to refer to other sources.

o            Presiding Clerk’s call to PYM session

o            how to apply for financial assistance to attend PYM session

o            items relevant to children and teens, such as permission slips

o            directions to site (driving, public transportation)

o            site map including parking areas

o            rules and regulations of site

o            campus security

o            schedule of week’s activity

o            list of interest groups, affinity groups, special events

o            what to bring (e.g., towels, flashlights, etc.)

o            meal ticket arrangements

Some persons will attend part time.  Also, there will be day attenders.  Registration systems must accommodate various possibilities.  (Comment: We regulars know this, but if we need to find a new Contract Registration Service, they need to understand.)