Job Opportunity: FGC Conference Coordinator

Friends General Conference (FGC) is looking for a new Conference Coordinator.  Ruth Reber, the current Conference Coordinator, will retire at the close of the 2020 Gathering. Applications are being accepted until January 3, with a projected start date in March 2020. If you or someone you know is interested in the position, please go to https://www.fgcquaker.org/serve/opportunities/job-opportunity-conference-coordinator

— Sharon Gates, Assistant to the Clerk of Pacific YM

Announcing the New Co-directors at Ben Lomond Quaker Center

Ben Lomond Quaker Center is delighted to announce that Susan Wilson and Bob Fisher, from Plainfield Meeting in Vermont, will be starting their work as the incoming Co-Directors of Quaker Center at the end of August! They will overlap with the current Co-Directors, Kathy and Bob Runyan, through September 1, 2019. You can find out more about Susan Wilson and Bob Fisher at http://www.quakercenter.org/about-us/staff/.

On Saturday afternoon, August 3, from 2PM to 5PM, Quaker Center’s board will be hosting a potluck gathering to say farewell to Kathy and Bob Runyan. More details will be available on the BLQC website soon.

FGC Institutional Assessment on Systemic Racism – Status Update

Vanessa Julye, the Coordinator for the Friends General Conference Committee for Ministry on Racism, shares the following status update with Pacific Yearly Meeting Friends:

The October Progress Report for the Institutional Assessment on Racism is posted on the FGC website at the following link:

https://www.fgcquaker.org/news/october-report-institutional-assessment-racism-task-force-recommendations-fgc-central-committee

In short, the approved Central Committee minute reads as follows:

Central Committee approves the establishment of a group to implement the work of the Institutional Assessment on Systemic Racism within Friends General Conference. Its charge shall be to guide the transformation of Friends General Conference into an anti-racist organization.

Consistent with the decision of Central Committee in 2017 to prioritize the work of anti-racism, FGC commits to work to eliminate white supremacy within the Religious Society of Friends and to model anti-racism as we support the work of this implementation group.

Central Committee authorizes the Institutional Assessment Working Group (IAWG) to serve as a naming committee to bring forward the names of eight Friends to serve on this implementation group. The names for the implementation group shall be brought forward for approval to Executive Committee at its winter 2019 meeting. The individuals to be recommended shall constitute at least 50 percent Friends of Color and consideration shall be given to include Young Adult Friends and broad geographic representation.

The implementation Group will use the information and recommendations from the Institutional Assessment on Systemic Racism within Friends General Conference 2018 report to begin their work and its work shall not be limited to the scope of the report and its recommendations. The implementation group shall be accountable to Central Committee and will report its progress to each Executive Committee Meeting and annually to Central Committee. Central Committee authorizes the IAWG to propose an appropriate budget to support the work of the implementation group and authorizes the Executive Committee to approve that budget at its winter 2019 meeting.

Please share this historical work with the other members of Pacific Yearly Meeting.

In Friendship, Vanessa

Status Report on PYM Minutes Packets

Short summary:

Annual Session and Representative Committee “Minutes and Reports Packets” are now available for the years 2013-2018.   There is also a new standalone list of all PYM Minutes of Action for the years 2001-2018.  Links to these documents can be found on a new page dedicated to PYM Minutes.

Continue reading “Status Report on PYM Minutes Packets”

Guidelines for Reports to Annual Session

(updated for 2019 annual session)

Friends, we ask for your support in using these guidelines to prepare your report to Annual Session 2019. We are working to make reports more readable for Friends to increase the number of people reading reports in advance.

Note that where these guidelines refer to “committees,” the intention is that the guidance applies equally to PYM officers and to representatives/delegates from PYM to other organizations. Subcommittees may also submit their own reports in consultation with their Committee.

All committees should submit a report, even if it is brief. We want to create more awareness among the whole community and to continue to find ways to better support one another.

Reports should be emailed to the Assistant to the Clerk (PYMAssistanttotheClerk@gmail.com) by June 14, 2019Reports received by the deadline will be assembled into an “Advance Packet” available electronically to all participants.  Reports received late will be more difficult for participants to find and may be overlooked.

Reports should provide an overview of the committee’s work, specifically work done since the previous Annual Session. Reports do not need to list all of the things the committee and its sub-committees or working groups have done during the year. Rather, reports should communicate how Spirit has moved through the committee since the last Annual Session.

Broader “news”, that is, more detailed and extensive information, should not be included in the report but may be posted separately in the committee’s section of the Annual Session web page and/or the committee’s page on the PYM website (by emailing to PYMAssistanttotheClerk@gmail.com).

Reports from committees, if submitted in time, will be included in the Advance Packet for the Annual Session.  In any case, they will be posted on the PYM website (on the Annual Session web page and on your committee page if you have one) and will be printed and posted on the dining room windows during Annual Session.  Afterwards they will be included in the final minutes document as attachments.

News documents will generally not be included in the Advance Packet or the final session minutes, but they will be posted on the website along with the reports.  Also you are welcome to print copies yourself to place in the Information Tent for Friends to read during Annual Session.  (If you run out, more copies can be printed at the Secretariat at Annual Session, so print sparingly.)

To encourage broad readership, reports should be brief—most should be 1-2 pages long. If your committee’s draft report is 3 or more pages, talk to the Assistant to the Clerk at least 2 weeks before the reports deadline (i.e. aim for June 1, 2019).

Because consistent formatting across reports make them easier to read, please use the following formatting:

  1. 1” margins
  2. 11 point Calibri font
  3. Section headings in bold
  4. Header (all pages, centered, two lines, 14 point Ariel font):
    1. Line 1: [Committee Name]
    2. Line 2: “Report to Annual Session 2019”
  5. Footer (centered, all pages, 11 point Ariel font):  Page X of Y
  6. Do not include photos, as these make creation of the minutes document more difficult and do not print well in black-and-white.
  7. A summary section at the top listing any action items and any specific requests (for example, key items for Meeting Representatives to convey). If there are no action items or requests, write “None” in this section.
  8. Highlight any action items and/or draft minutes in bold
  9. The last paragraph of the report should list the members of the committee, with the clerk’s name last followed by the word “Clerk” in parentheses.

You may use the attached TEMPLATE_Report_to_AS_2019.docx or you can set up the formatting yourself in your Word document.  Please keep any formatting simple (avoid using custom Word “Styles”), and note that Secretariat editors may need to do some reformatting to fit with other reports in the Advance Packet and the final minutes packet.

Submit the report in Word format (.doc or .docx) with the filename following the model

  • Model
    • CommitteeName_Report_to_AS_2019.docx (or .doc)
  • For example:
    • Ministry_and_Oversight_Report_to_AS_2019.doc,
    • Latin_American_Concerns_Report_to_AS_2019.docx
  • Note that the names are quite long enough without adding the word “Committee”.

Do not submit the report in PDF format unless it has tricky formatting (such as the budget). This is to facilitate creation of the advance reports packet and of the Annual Session minutes.

Thank you for your support in these changes to the way we communicate from committees back to the Yearly Meeting. We hope that using these guidelines will increase the number of people reading the reports about your important work.

Sharon Gates, Assistant to the Clerk

 

 

Nominating Committee Updates to Proposed Slate of Officers, Committees and Delegates

PACIFIC YEARLY MEETING
NOMINATING COMMITTEE
UPDATES TO PROPOSED SLATE OF OFFICERS, COMMITTEES AND DELEGATES
21 SIXTH MONTH 2016 (BEGINNING OF PLENARY FOR DISCERNMENT)
These names are brought as an addition to the nominations being considered for action later today at
Business Plenary III:
Unity with Nature Committee
2019 Andi Macleod, La Jolla (2016)
Youth Programs Coordinating Committee
2018 Barbara Babin, Redwood Forest (2016)

Minute of Concern for Central American Refugees Held in Detention Centers in the U.S.

Minute Details:

Drafted by Live Oak Friends Meeting

We, members and attenders of Live Oak Friends Meeting, a part of Pacific Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers), express our concern for the thousands of women, children and young adults from Central America, who have entered the United States to find safety and peace.

Central American mothers and children have fled extreme poverty, violence and intimidation in their home countries.  They would face death at the hands of gangs, or of their governments, were they to return now.  We desire that their requests for asylum in the U.S. be heard, and that they be allowed to remain in this country with refugee status.

We oppose their prolonged incarceration in overcrowded detention facilities, and we join with citizens, immigrants and elected officials of the United States who seek to provide food, shelter, medical care, and due process in their immigration proceedings.

We support non-violent efforts to change the conditions in their Central American countries of origin that caused them to leave, so that they may eventually be reunited with their families and loved ones.