Pacific Yearly Meeting’s 2019 Annual Session took place July 12-17, 2019, at Walker Creek Ranch near Petaluma, CA, USA. This year’s theme was “Dwelling in Truth and Trusting Divine Spirit” as described in the Clerk’s Call to Annual Session 2019. 289 Friends and friends of Friends of all ages enjoyed the fellowship and spiritual engagement.
This page contains information and documents related to the preparation for and conduct of the 2019 Annual Session, as well as its outcomes (epistles and minutes). For information about PYM Annual Sessions in general, please see the Annual Session Information page.
Click on any item in the Table of Contents to jump to that section.
Epistles from PYM Annual Session
- The final minutes and reports from the business sessions held at annual session are available on the PYM Minutes page. Most of the committee reports linked below are also included as attachments to the minutes.
- Clerk’s Call to Annual Session 2019 (as PDF)
- Clerk’s Call to Annual Session 2019 (as web page)
- About David Johnson, Keynote Speaker (web page, not in Advance Packet)
Advance Packet and Updates To It
PYM AS 2019 Packet of Advance Materials contains committee reports and other materials in preparation for Annual Session. If you just want an individual report, you will find it below under Committee and Officer Reports.
- PYM-AS-2019.Packet-of-Advance-Materials.v3 (pdf posted 7/5/19)
Updates: The following are reports and information that are either “new” (i.e. not in Advance Packet) or have been revised or corrected from the version in the Packet.
- Nominating Committee Report 2019 – final (pdf posted 7/5, slight revision of report in the Advance Packet).
- Nominating_Slate_Draft_1.1_to_AS_2019 (pdf posted 7/8, identical content to 6/17 version in packet, but formatting fixed).
- Information for Registrants (all ages) web page posted 7/8)
- Statistical_Clerk_Report_to_AS_2019.v2 (pdf posted 7/8, slight revision of report in Advance Packet)
- FCNL Report (pdf posted 6/17/19) accidentally omitted from Advance Packet
- Friends Peace Teams Activity for AS 2019 (pdf posted 7/13/19)
- YPCC 2019 Program Evaluation Report and Appendix with Survey Responses (web page with links to two documents, posted 7/13 and updated 7/16 with revised links in the documents)
- Building Beloved Community Resource Handout (pdf, posted 7/14/19)
- State_of_the_Society_Report_to_AS_2019 (pdf, posted 7/15/19)
- Nominating_Slate_Draft_2_to_AS_2019 (pdf, posted 7/15/19 for Plenary VI)
- Children’s Committee Coordinator Position Ad Hoc Committee Revised Report to AS 2019 (pdf, posted 7/16/19 for Plenary VIII)
- PYM General Budget FY 2019-2020 – Approved 07-15-2019 (pdf, posted 7/15/19) The budget as approved in Plenary.
- Nominating_Slate_Draft_3_to_AS_2019 (pdf, posted 7/16/19 for Plenary VIII)
- Unity_with_Nature_Report_to_AS_2019.v4 (pdf posted 7/26/19)
Information for specific age groups
- Information for Registrants (all ages)
- Children’s Program, including permission/medical forms and Welcome Letter to Parents/Guardians/Sponsors
- Teens (Junior Yearly Meeting, aka JYM) including permission/medical forms
- JYM’s “What to Expect for Parents/Sponsors” and the “Welcome Letter and What to Bring – Packing List”: see JYM 2019 page
- Dance Theme 2019 is “Thru the Decades” … ALL AGES INVITED! Hosted by JYM.
- Young Adult Friends (aka YAFs) and their pre-AS Retreat
- Adults who work with youth (FRAPs, Teachers, Committee Members, Staff, other Volunteers)
- There is a Google document online for people to offer or request rides. You can view and contribute to it here.
During the Session
Schedules and Agendas
- Schedule 2019 Annual Session.v-07-12 (updated 7/12)
- Plenary Agendas for AS 2019. v1.7 (updated 7/26)
- The Schedule Explained 2019
- Interest Group Descriptions and Schedule
- JYM Schedule 2019 (Draft v1)
This is the bulletin that seems to miraculously appear each morning at Annual Session with schedules, announcements and other information pertinent to attenders as well as to Friends generally.
- Daily Miracle web page where you can find the very latest Miracle as well as past issues.
- Submission instructions if you have something you want to appear in the Miracle.
David Johnson gave the Keynote Address to this year’s Annual Session of PYM at 11 AM PDT on Saturday, July 13.
The video is low resolution and may be easier to watch at a smaller size on YouTube. The projected slides can be viewed by downloading the pdf of the keynote slides or viewing the following gallery:
These are the times for each slide:
Title Slide – 6.20-8.10
Anointing – 13.55-17.15 and 19.15-21.15
Shepherd. 31.50 – 34.05
Prophet. 37.37- 40.45
Offices and Fruits. 1.05.58-1.07.50
Attributes of Christ 1.08.58- 1.09.20
Alternatively, you can listen to the audio recording:
It was broadcast live through Zoom.
Site: Walker Creek Ranch
Most of the reports below are also included in the all-in-one Advance Packet as well as in the final Minutes Packet. Those that are not in the Advance Packet or are revised are marked “not in Advance Packet“.
Children’s Program Committee
- Children’s Committee Coordinator Position Ad Hoc Committee Revised Report to AS 2019 (pdf, posted 7/16/19 for Plenary VIII) not in Advance Packet
- Communications Committee Report (pdf posted 6/25/19)
- PYM Data Breach Policy (4.1) (pdf posted 6/25/19)
- Secretariat and Website Content Report to AS 2019 (posted 6/7/19)
Elder to Presiding Clerk
- Elder to Presiding Clerk Report to AS 2019 (pdf posted 6/17/19)
Faith and Practice Revision Committee
- Faith and Practice Revision Report to AS 2019 (pdf posted 6/9/19)
Finance Committee and Treasurer
- Treasurers Report to AS 2019 (pdf posted 6/9/19)
- Finance Report to AS 2019 (pdf posted 7/4/19)
- PYM Proposed General Budget FY 2019-2020 (pdf posted 6/17/19)
- Budget Augmentations AS 2019 (pdf posted 6/25/19)
- PYM General Budget FY 2019-2020 – Approved 07-15-2019 (pdf, posted 7/15/19) The budget as approved in Plenary. Not in Advance Packet.
Junior Yearly Meeting (JYM) Adult Committee
- Junior Yearly Meeting Committee Report to Annual Session 2019 (pdf posted 6/25/19)
Latin American Concerns Committee
- Latin American Concerns Committee Report to Annual Session 2019 (pdf posted 6/17/19)
- Newsletters and reports from the projects (these are not in the Advance Packet)
- Progresa Spring Update (pdf posted 6/17/19)
- El Salvador Projects November 2018 Newsletter (pdf posted 6/17/19)
- Casa de los Amigos Hospitality Program (pdf posted 6/17/19)
- Sacramento Friends Meeting Undocumented Scholarship Fund Update (pdf posted 6/17/19)
Ministry and Oversight Committee
- Ministry and Oversight Report to AS 2019 (pdf posted 7/4/19)
- Summary of Evaluations of PYM 2018 Annual Session (pdf posted 7/3/19)
- FGC Affiliation
- Annual Session 2019 Summary on Affiliation with FGC (pdf posted 7/3/19)
- FGC Affiliation Issue as Recorded in PYM Minutes and Reports 2014-2019 (pdf posted 7/3/19)
- New Document and Renewed Request for Further Seasoning on FGC Affiliation (web page posted 5/1/19)
- For links to past documents relating to FGC Affiliation, see also the M&O committee page.
- State_of_the_Society_Report_to_AS_2019 (pdf, posted 7/15/19) not in Advance Packet
- Nominating Committee Report 2019 – final (pdf posted 7/5, not in Advance Packet, slight revision of report in the Advance Packet).
- Nominating Committee Report (pdf posted 6/17/19) Obsolete
- Nominating_Slate_Draft_3_to_AS_2019 (pdf, posted 7/16/19 for Plenary VIII) not in Advance Packet
- Discernment_on_Unity_with_Nature_Revised_Report_to_RepCom_2019 (pdf posted 7/4/19) See also the Unity with Nature report below.
- Note: Nominating Slates are proposals brought for approval at Annual Session. They typically go through multiple revisions in the course of the session as additional nominees are found. See the Nominating Committee page for the final approved PYM Roster as of close of session and for any updates that have been posted since then.
Peace and Social Order Committee
- Peace and Social Order Committee Report (pdf posted 6/17/19)
PYM Holding Corporation
- PYM Holding Corp Report (pdf posted 7/4/19)
Quarterly Meetings Coordination Team
Racial Justice Subcommittee
- Building Beloved Community Resource Handout (pdf, posted 7/14/19) not in Advance Packet
- Registrars_Report_to_AS_2019 (pdf, posted 7/24/19) not in Advance Packet
- Statistical Clerks Report to AS 2019 with Attachment (pdf posted 6/16/19) Obsolete
- Statistical_Clerk_Report_to_AS_2019 with Attachment.v2 (pdf posted 7/8, slight revision, not in Advance Packet)
- See “Finance Committee and Treasurer” above
Unity with Nature Committee
- Unity_with_Nature_Report_to_AS_2019.v4 (pdf posted 7/26/19) not in Advance Packet
- See also the “Discernment on Unity with Nature Revised Report to RepCom” under Nominating Committee, above.
- See also QEW Representative report, below.
Youth Programs Coordinating Committee and YP Coordinator
- Youth Programs Coordinating Committee Report to Annual Session 2019
with appendix (link to PYM blog with pdf download link posted 6/26/19)
- 2019 Program Evaluation Report and Appendix with Survey Responses – YPCC (web page with links to two documents, posted 7/13 and updated 7/16 with revised links in the documents) not in Advance Packet
Reports from Outside Organizations and from PYM Representatives to Outside Organizations
Epistles from other Yearly Meetings
The following epistles (or excerpts from them) were read at various plenary sessions
American Friends Service Committee Corporation
- AFSC Corporation Reps Report to AS 2019 (pdf posted 6/9/19)
Evangelical Friends Church Southwest
Friends Bulletin Corp (Western Friend Magazine)
- Western_Friend_Annual_Report_2018 (pdf posted 7/4/19) not in Advance Packet (too bulky at 2.8 MB)
Friends Committee on Legislation of California
- FCLCA Report to AS 2019 (pdf posted 6/17/19)
Friends Committee on National Legislation
- FCNL Report (pdf posted 6/17/19) accidentally omitted from Advance Packet
Friends General Conference – Central Committee
- FGC Observer Report (pdf posted 6/17/19)
Friends Peace Teams
- Friends Peace Teams Report (pdf posted 6/17/19)
- Friends Peace Teams Activity for AS 2019 (pdf posted 7/13/19) not in Advance Packet
Friends World Committee for Consultation
Quaker Earthcare Witness
• Quaker Earthcare Witness Report (pdf posted 6/17/19)
Quaker Oaks Farm
- Quaker Oaks Spring Camp Report to AS 2019 (pdf posted 7/4/19)
Reunión General de los Amigos en México
William Penn House
If you attended all or part of the session, we hope you filled out the 2019 Annual Session Evaluation Survey. The deadline for submissions was August 4, and survey responses are no longer being accepted.
Stuff that’s Now Largely Past
- Click here to register. (Opens in a new tab.)
- Register by June 12 to avoid late fees.
- Apply by May 27 for financial assistance.
- Attendance fees list
- Information about financial assistance and other ways to reduce the cost of attendance.
Some Deadlines for Annual Session 2019
These deadlines are all passed at this point (except for the post-session evaluations).
- INTEREST GROUP PROPOSALS: March 3. See How to Schedule an Interest Group at Annual Session so you don’t miss the deadline next year.
- APPLY TO VOLUNTEER WITH TEENS OR CHILDREN’S PROGRAM: May 22 or until filled (STILL NEEDED AS OF 6/6/19). A fantastic way for adults to experience Annual Session and have your registration fees waived as well. Click here for more information and the application form.
- BUDGET REQUESTS: June 1. Annual Session is where we approve next year’s general budget and any augmentations to current year’s general or annual session budgets. Send requests and input to Finance Committee in time for them to deliberate and prepare their report and budget proposals which FinCom must submit by June 14.
- ATTENDANCE ASSISTANCE REQUEST: May 27. Access the form from within registration. Ensure your Meeting communicates their decision about their portion of contribution by June 3. M&O will communicate decisions to applicants on June 10.
- REGISTRATION or CANCELLATION: June 12 to avoid late fees. After June 12 registrations are subject to a 5% late fee and cancellations are subject to a $100 cancellation fee.
- REPORTS: June 14. Committees, Officers and Representatives submitting reports for Annual Session should follow these Guidelines for Reports to Annual Session (updated for 2019).
- POST-SESSION EVALUATION FOR ATTENDERS: August 4. See below.
General questions about PYM and Annual Session:
Sharon Gates, Assistant to the Clerk, email@example.com
Joe Magruder (Berkeley) and Lawrence Alderson (Orange County)
PYM Registrar Gmail <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Mailing Address to mail checks (made out to “Pacific Yearly Meeting”) for completed registrations:
PYM Registration; Joe Magruder; 1625 Curtis Street; Berkeley, CA 94702-1328.
Bronwen Hillman, Clerk of Arrangements Committee <email@example.com>
Coordinator: Nate Secrest (Redwood Forest)
Teens (Junior Yearly Meeting, aka JYM):
Adult Co-Clerks of JYM:
Muriel Strand (Sacramento) <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Sarah Armstrong Jones (Big Island) <email@example.com>
Young Adult Friends (aka YAFs):
See more contacts on the Contact Us page